Things to have when going solo

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lpirtle, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    The truck is supposed to have a 1500 watt inverter beneath the sleeper bunk. Almost all of the trucks at the North Liberty terminal are Ryder lease trucks. I agree that it would be inconvinent to have to charge the phone off of that though, so 12 volt plugs are definitely in order.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I keep this in my truck (also a J Rayl Ryder lease International LT):

toaster oven (I prefer it to a microwave, and it’s a lot easier to store or remove)

french press for coffee

hot water kettle (for making coffee and oatmeal, and boiling water to rinse out/sterilize my pee jug)

large plastic dish, large bowl, set of cutlery (knife, fork, spoon), kitchen knife, plastic cutting board

Pillow, blanket, sheets, and sleeping bag (I only break out the sleeping bag to use as an extra blanket when it’s cold, and it came in handy once when I accidentally spilled my hot water kettle on the lower bunk).

Travel cup for hot coffee

Big insulated mug for cold drinks

I have an RV fridge that I put in my truck (used to use a large cooler and bought ice every two days)

several changes of clothes, spare shoes, a sweatshirt I can wear under my insulated hoodie

Lpirtle Thanks this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Enough money to get your butt home. A cell phone and a sleeping bag, everything else is optional. You'll gather stuff plenty fast on your own. I fly out to job assignments, I just take my personal stuff, sleeping bag and a cell phone, oh yea sunglasses.

5. tarmadilo

Dec 12, 2018
    Definitely sunglasses, I keep two pairs of polarized sunglasses in the truck.

Ridlingdj Thanks this.
  6. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Ah, nice. So a toaster oven will work with the inverter? How do you do dishes while on the road? What kind of meals do you usually have while over the road? I have a dorm fridge at home that I can just put in the truck, would this work?
    So, a french press? Im aware of the stove top version, so do you use that or something else?

7. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Will definitely keep one on me. Driving into the sun with no sunglasses is not a fun deal.

Ridlingdj and tarmadilo Thank this.
  8. tarmadilo

Dec 12, 2018
    No problem with the toaster oven or the water kettle. The French press is basically a little pitcher that you put coffee and boiling water into, let it steep, and then push down a plunger in the lid that has a screen filter that separates the grounds from the liquid.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I recently bought yellow/amber tinted and treated specifically against blue lighting or LED emission sources like your computer screen and night time car lights of the modern kind. They are also treated against UV etc. Once in a while when I come out at night around here for the store or whatever they do resemble shooting glasses so the Law gets to be interested occasionally. They know I carry. Otherwise they take care of the night light pollution problem that gets to be way too much in some areas.

I carry just enough to fit in one suitcase. I never settle with all the other crap that goes into the truck unless I am in a position to hire a rental car any time going home cross country with all the hotel bills to go with it etc. Cash and a large enough visa or master card takes care of the rental. When we left FFE, we left them a perfectly detailed and disinfected tractor inside and out and rented a car and was home in couple of hours. It could not be easier. Other than that dog whistle candy apple red paint with the law everywhere. Its all they had. Grey is what we usually like to get.

Lpirtle Thanks this.
  10. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Ah, I was thinking of something different. For some reason, I thought you meant this. GUEST_e62f7578-c5a5-41cb-810d-8aa76d00be86.jpg
    Thanks again for the info though, definitely gives me some ideas to consider.

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  11. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    That reminds me. For some reason, bright screens in the cab when I am trying to drive at night are highly annoying to me, as they show up as a glare that makes night driving harder than necessary. In my trainers truck, I can turn down the brightness on both the dash and the ELD to a reasonable level; so Im happy for that.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.