Thoughts on yard dogs?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by paccarmike, Apr 20, 2021.

1. paccarmike

paccarmike Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Washington
    I just got hired as a yard dog today. Anyone have any experience doing the job? I just wanted something different and be home everyday. Driving became something that I feel I was getting too complacent in and backing has always been fun for me. I like getting myself into a messed up back and then fixing it so I figured this would be great for me. 4 days of work and work part time somewhere else. I like working so... Anyway, can this even count towards driving experience? I would never leave the yard with a trailer. I'm excited to make the same back 50 times a day lmao.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Your kind of like the postman.
    Out in the elements all day rain snow wind lighting frozen brakes bent railboxes doors bent wont open or close.
    Trashy equipment even if its new no ac no heat eat dust all day , on average 90 moves a night , most drivers I've worked with either like or hate it.
    A lot of folks give it one night and disappear into thin air , i work 6p to 6am on a 2 2 3 schedule time and a half after 40.
    Dont accept any spotter job that pays under at least 20 or a 3rd party provider , you will understand when you get started.
    Are you doing food grade , paper mill , steel.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  4. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I have done it once and wouldn’t do it again. Nope, doesn’t count as driving experience.

5. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Just try not to destroy all the trailers.

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    While this wont count towards driving experience, if you are under 2 years, as long as you want to go back with a non mega, insurance MAY count it as a "dot included safety position" so it wont neccessarily mess with your ability to go back otr.

Also positive, backing with a full size truck will certainly be different, but given the number of backs youll have under your belt, coming out of it should make you one of the better "backer uppers" after a while.

7. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    It all depends on the job. The place I’m at is gravy but there is only one truck and 3 drivers rotate shifts. 20 moves in 8 hours is a lot. I wouldn’t do it at most places though. Lazerspot is running a yard around me and they suck. Low pay and no overtime. They can’t keep help, I wonder why.

8. paccarmike

paccarmike Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Washington
    I'm doing target for CRE. 19/hr on a paved lot.

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Did it for 3 months..it's all I could take.
    200 door Conway terminal.

10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I have done it, once for a private fleet/warehouse and once for lazerspot. The private one was definitely better but I made better money with lazer. it is definitely its own animal... seems like you are always either balls to the wall busy or dead slow. If you like to hustle and are good at backing, and you like to yell at otr drivers, it can be a decent gig, but of course it depends on the operation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.