TK SB3 MAX Plus Reefer No Start

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by SpeedyGonzalez, Dec 16, 2019.

1. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hello all,
    We've got a 03 reefer with a SB3 max that just stopped running out of the blue. Opened up the electrical box and saw that the switch was heavily corroded and replaced it with one from home depot. Issue is, according to the schematic I have the wires that the switch is connected to shouldn't be the ones that turn the reefer on and off. Theres 2AB with 12V, 8 with 0V, CH which goes to ground and one more I cant remember. The schematic I have says that 2P and 2PA are what should turn the reefer one but I dont even have a cable going to the connector body that the header connects to. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    So the issue when it stopped running was no power at the screen ?

4. SpeedyGonzalez

Dec 28, 2017
    Correct, no power at all actually. Took out the relay board and found the CH trace was blown, but I was able to repair that.

5. reeferwrencher

Aug 4, 2018
    So you had 12 volts at the main power wire to the board right and the fuses were ok?

6. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    double check your grounds. iirc TK likes using a junction ground block behind the battery that would get nasty and corrode terminals.

7. SpeedyGonzalez

Dec 28, 2017
    I had 12V on both power leads, not sure which is the main. All fuses are good, I've double checked them and checked the solder joints for the fuse holders to make sure they weren't cracked off. I'll check if theres a ground junction behind the battery, I have a ground stud in the electronics compartment where it seems everything ties into and that was all good. The bottom of the box has some pretty bad rust but it isn't affecting the ground from what I've tested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added Picture
  8. reeferwrencher

Aug 4, 2018
    Bypass the on/off switch you put on it and see if it powers up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.