TMC/Freymiller/etc vs. UPS

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by coastietruckin', Apr 17, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Due to family situation, I had to do the local/regional home every day stuff. It was miserable for me personally. When I'd see the big trucks at night and see the names on the sides, & knowing they're heading to another coast or on a long haul run, it was depressing for me, wanting to do that again. Some of us just aren't cut out for that "Leave it to Beaver" lifestyle. You can also get a $5K+ pension every month and do it yourself with proper investments, such as has already been mentioned. Also buy some rental property and there's steady income for life. You won't even have to see the renters or collect the rent or worry about maintenance; let the real estate agent set you up with a management company to take care of all that while you focus on your trucking job and running the roads.
    Do whatever you're comfortable with though. Some drivers say those of us that prefer OTR are sick, deranged individuals because we don't think like they do. Well, that's their opinion and it doesn't affect my paycheck or long term plan.
    Some trucking companies have decent pension plans through 401k's or Roth or whatever, plus you can start a second one through a credit union such as USAA.com which is for military vets.
    Make a decision on if you want to be a Buster Brown (UPS driver) or something else. It won't be the wrong decision either way, because you can change companies any time you please if you decide you didn't make the best decision.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Drivingotr4life

Drivingotr4life Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2018

If you can dude go to ups or f edex period... no afters best companys

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  4. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Thanks, Chinatown. That is the beauty about the civilian job market....if you are unsatisfied with the job you have, you can always find another! Especially in trucking. I'm going to stick with UPS and evaluate after a year or two down the road. Probably by that time, I'll be wondering why I ever second-guessed going with ups to begin with, lol.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    You can always get an otr job in the future. 90% of these companies call you back 1-2 days after you apply

Actual ups job offers are very rare and I'm still waiting . 6 years experience,clean record,,all endorsements,ex-military and I never got a call once from them or any of the ltl companies that I apply for every 6-8 months

Take the ups job , give it a year and see how you like it

Bob Dobalina and coastietruckin' Thank this.
  6. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    That's a good way of looking at it. Thank you, gpf.

7. goose0324

goose0324 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    In Dallas, TX LTL compnies are all hiring.

gpf87 Thanks this.
  8. RicoNC

RicoNC Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Raleigh/Clayton, NC
    No , I wasn't discouraging him at all. I WAS sharing my point of view and own experience in that particular line of work...in fact I really liked LTL as the job itself, HOWEVER a lot of BS from office personnel( dispatchers, TM,safety etc etc), everyone tells you all the pretty part but "forgot" to mention the other side of it.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  9. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I see that . As well as other major booming metros

The area I've been appyling in has the hiring ads up from time to time and I've met the terminal managers but nothing yet . I may have to settle on a different location but I'm waiting until I turn 30 to make that move

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    LTL is a fine line. Lots of BS. OTR No thanks. I upgraded doing roll off dumpsters. No freight to damage, No waiting on warehouse employees dictating my time. Make the same wage and FREE better benefits. Multi million family run business. OT/40

The Job is dirty, Just the way i like my women !

Sure it's a straight truck,With TT work. Relaxed employer is priceless.

11. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    This is UPS freight I’m guessing?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.