TMC,Maverick, or McElroy???

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Bamadrb, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Bamadrb

Bamadrb Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Hello everybody, first time to post a question so here goes. I start cdl school on 1/4/2016 at TDI in Oxford,AL and am excited for this next journey in life. I have done a fairly good amount of research to make my decision on Flatbedding and narrowed down to these 3 companies to choose from to start my career with (tmc,maverick,McElroy). I am curious about the freight lanes being as I am towards the southern point of their hiring area. Any answers to this are greatly appreciated and thank you all so much for this website as I have found it a wealth of good information.

Thanks,
    David

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carterbeauford

carterbeauford Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northwestern PA
    Maverick would be your best bet in that area.

Bamadrb Thanks this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Yup, Maverick hq is in little rock, Arkansas. Give them a call and let them know you're interested in them once you finish school

Bamadrb Thanks this.
  5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I can't speak on McElroy as I never drove for them. However, I did drive for both Maverick and TMC. They are very comparible in my opinion (or were). Most of the time you show up at a shipper and both of their trucks will be there. TMC has two ways of getting paid (or did). Percentage or mileage. Maverick is just mileage. As far as compensation, I made better money at Maverick. Not by much though. But I hated the automatic transmissions there. If either of these two are your choice, be prepared to tarp. Maverick wants it to look good going down the road but are by no means as picky as TMC.

I started out at TMC and glad I did. Reason is, I got time in the seat with a standard shift. I can't imagine having started in an automatic and then trying to sell myself to a stick company when it was time to move on.

Good luck to you.

Bamadrb Thanks this.
  6. Bamadrb

Bamadrb Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thank you guys for your responses. RustyBolt, I have thought about the auto vs. manual with a starter company. I have drove tri-axle dump trucks for 8 years( Eaton 9 & 10 speeds)(Cat C13&C15 engines) but that is a dump truck and not a tractor & trailer and I know it is a different situation though.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Im not a flat bed guy but some posts lately favor Melton and they are happy just a thought.

Natethetrucker04 and Bamadrb Thank this.
  8. Bamadrb

Bamadrb Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thanks, they have a yard about 30 mins from me and I will do some checking into them.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  9. TarpWhisperer

TarpWhisperer Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    TMC you get paid more the harder you work / the better you manage your time. Maverick, they're like our sister company. The owners of each are golfing buddies. Both are ran similar, but as stated above, I'd suggest learning to drive standard over automatic, in case you ever want to go heavy haul, or work for a company with standard trucks.

Bamadrb Thanks this.
  10. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    TW, how long have you been with TMC? Did you have CDL A experience prior? Also, there seems to be several here who have had a negative experience with TMC. How has your experience been? Thanks.

11. TarpWhisperer

TarpWhisperer Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    First driving company I've worked for. As for my experiences here have been pretty positive. Only negative was having to take my truck to the shop twice got an issue they couldn't figure out, but they ended up fixing it. TMC gives you all the tools, and then it's up to you to get the job done. Like I said earlier, the harder you work / time manage, the more money you make. I rarely sit empty, and get home every weekend. Top be fair I live in Indy, about twenty minutes from their terminal. We had a guy in class from Alabama, and he had no issues get home every weekend. I like it here, and will probably stay for sometime. They treat me well. Also I enjoy just being given a task, and then left alone to complete it, so it works out for everyone.

GoldenLad and farmboy73 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.