TMXU...Mexico and Canada specific containers???

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Cody1984, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    I got a rail specific question and not really a trucking question I'm curious about. I thought Norfolk Southern just used it's regular EMHU containers when shipping to Mexico but apparently not. They are using new TMXU containers to do so. I've seen Schneider and several other carriers pulling these containers from Greencastle PA since it's part of the Crescent Corridor which these containers are part of. I'm kind of curious why Schneider doesn't use it's own containers for this and is instead contracting to use Norfolk Southern's containers especially considering they have a deal with CSX similiar to how JB Hunt has a deal with Norfolk Southern. I got to ask why they don't use CSX for this over Norfolk Southern as well. Also I got ask does Canada have something similar where they have a specific container for crossing the US Canada border as well. I thought those were just regular old EMHU containers. I drive for JB Hunt and we have our own containers and chassis and don't use anything else is why I'm curious about this all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Not sure how to answer you but up here we use our own box if it's going to Mexico, maybe schneider has some broker deal to move other companies freight. All about the money

4. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Maybe Schneider doesn't want their equipment going to Mexico. And frankly, I don't blame them. I hooked up to an empty at a place we bring loads with a Mexican origin. It was infested with ####roaches and other bugs. It was gross and it was the first time I have ever seen an infested trailer. It wasn't a steel box but a jbhu 22XXXX series. Still gives me the chills thinking about it.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Have seen a couple of TMXU boxes in Denver, but they were empties. Generally that stuff came cross border and was transloaded then shipped onward.

6. Foots

Foots Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2014
    At the UP in Marion we have UMXU's. A lot of the old Pacer and CSX 53's are being re-branded as UMXU's as well. It may have something to do with Trac Lease. That's just about the only chassis we use anymore, no matter what the size is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.