TND TABLET WILL NOT BOOT UP

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by bigcountry1991, May 16, 2015.

1. bigcountry1991

bigcountry1991 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Georgia
    ive had the tnd tablet for about 3 months now, and all of a sudden it wont boot up.....screen turns on, displays rand mcnally, then goes to the compass screen, and thats it....plugging it up to a pc wont connect it to the dock, reset dont work......any clues???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    sounds like you need to send it in to RM for it to be repaired. should be free, well within warrnaty

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    is there an owners manual? or perhaps google. find out how to do a hard reset on the device.

might have to PM mark king. the tech support guru on this forum.

i've had the same situation on a acer tablet.

5. Trick or Treat

Trick or Treat Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    I've heard nothing but horrors about that thing. Talked to a guy with my company that had just bought one. Said he needed a new toy and loved that thing. Talked to him a week later and he had already returned it.

6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Settings,
    Did he say why he returned it? You mention you have heard nothing but horrors about the tablet, care to expound on this statement?

Mark

8. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

You do not connect this to the computer to be updated. It updates via Wi-Fi when you are connected to a Hot Spot.

The reset button is on the top to the left of the volume down button. Use a paperclip to reset it.

Let me know what happens.

mark

9. Trick or Treat

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm in the process of researching various GPS units. I was and still am a Streets & Trips user, but it's been discontinued and the maps are rapidly becoming outdated. Anyway, most of the reviews that I've read on the TND tablet have been that it was a disaster. Also, the people that I have talked to have also said the same thing.

On the TND 730 the reviews are a little better, but I still don't like a lot of what I have read. Anyway, I have to do something because I can't get an update for Streets & Trips, so I will probably go with the TND 730 and cross my fingers. I sure hope I don't end up with a door stop considering the exorbitant price you guys charge. Meanwhile, lifetime map updates don't mean much when the #### thing dies after only a couple of years or maybe three if you are lucky.

Anyway, let me ask you a few questions now that I have your attention if I may. Can you import your own personal POI database into the TND 730 and then navigate to them? Will they show up on the maps afterwards if you upload icons for them so you can see them during navigation? Does it have a truck specific POI database for Canada? Can I navigate to specific GPS coordinates that I copy or otherwise type from Google Earth, for instance? Can I manually manipulate the routes it generates if I don't like the route it gives me? I've read that there is an address book feature. Not sure exactly what that is, but can you use it to save like all your terminals, drop lots, shippers, receivers, etc., for instance, and is there a limit to how much data you can save?

Any help with the above questions would be appreciated. Plan on taking the plunge fairly quickly and it's going to be between the TND 730 or the Dezl 770, but I am leaning towards the TND 730 a little more.

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Again you say generalities instead of giving details. I cannot expound on generalities. A lot of forums people will only mention what they don't like about it. Yes there are some hardware items I don't like that could have been improved, but I listed those back to RM and along with other drivers listing items what is good and bad, RM listens and does have hardware changes in affect. Software is the same way.

Reading reviews from one site you have to take into account who is posting. One lady gave a TND only 1 star because the TND would not route her truck to her house in a residual neighborhood. Needless to say that trucks were not allowed by that State DOT on those roads meant nothing to her.

The price is the same for the TND 730 as the Garmin, so how do you say RM charges an exorbitant price when it is the same price as the Garmin?

The truck GPS has a lot more in the maps for truck attributes. This is turn costs more to procure the license fee for each unit. Using a car GPS you do not worry about height, weight, HazMat, etc. A truck you do have to worry about these things when it is trying to calculate a route.

Life Time Maps are for the life of the Unit. This is a common business practice. All items no matter what have a shelf life. Meaning a company will only support that item for x amount of time. Hardware changes all the time. What software is run today the models from a few years ago would not be able to keep up with the processing speeds. The TND 730 is about 3-4 times faster in processing speed than the TND 720 for example.

Import your own POI's - yes so long as it is in the correct format.

Navigate to them - Yes, it is like picking any other destination.

Show up on the map - your icons - no, you have a choice of icons to pick from which if you choice will show up on the map.

Truck Specific POI Database for Canada - It does show POIs for Canada and if a TS has it listed it will show up.

Navigate by Lat/Long - Yes, I use this feature all the time.

Manually manipulate the Maps - Yes, by inserting Via points.

Address Book - This is where you store addresses you wish to save, and you can pick from these for routing.

Address Book - You can group your addresses also.

Mark

lovesthedrive and Dieselboss Thank this.
  11. Trick or Treat

Oct 26, 2014
    Uhm…I never expected or asked you to expound on anything other than on my questions. Meanwhile, I’m speaking in general terms because I’m expressing in general what my research thus far has revealed overall. Indeed, on the TND Tablet most of the reviews indicate it is a disaster, on the TND 730, the reviews are mixed. The reviews also lowers expectations with respect to the kind of service to expect if you have problems, which is not very good service to say the least.

Nevertheless, I have to do something because the maps on what I’m currently using are fast becoming obsolete and luckily for you guys in this business there is not a lot of good options out there.

With all due respect, that just lame excuses to me as far as I’m concerned. As a customer, it’s not what I like to hear. When you have to shell out that kind of money for something, you kind of expect it to work right out of the box.

Meanwhile, the last thing you want to do is go through the hassle of having to send it back to the manufacturer for weeks on end, only to get it back and find out it still is doing the same stupid thing.

Who is going to compensate us for the hassle of having to pack it up and take it somewhere to be shipped off, and when do we have time to do it? On home time? I only take home time every couple of months.

Meanwhile, what are we supposed to do about navigation in the interim? Cross our fingers? Will you guys FedEx us a temporary replacement before shipping it back to keep us going?

In any event, obviously a lot of people end up purchasing nightmares. I’m just hoping that I can get lucky and hopefully avoid all that brain damage. But nevertheless it is a roll of the dice from what I gather.

If you guys are worried about bad press and bad reviews, well then don’t ship out product not ready for primetime. You guys are creating your own problems and it’s not my fault. Sorry. I’m just reporting what I have found in general. Go read the reviews yourself if you think I’m exaggerating.

That’s why I read all the reviews. Some are legit, others not so much. I’ve come to the same conclusion myself.

Both RM, Garmin, and the other manufacturers charge an exorbitant price considering the product, its limitations, and expected lifecycle expectancy. It certainly isn’t nearly as powerful or as capable as a laptop, for instance, but the price nonetheless is comparable to a cheap laptop. It is way over priced as far as I’m concerned, but again there is not a lot of competition out there in this market.

With all due respect, I don’t care what I’m using, but I would be negligent if I blindly trusted any GPS. If it is manufactured by humans, then I expect it to be filled with errors.

Not to mention that I rode with a fellow employee for evaluation purposes one time who had previously told me he had complete trust and faith in his TND 520. In any event, his TND 520 took us through a very convoluted route through this small NC town. We hit 6 traffic lights in a row and while stopped at the traffic lights, there were also NO TRUCK signs posted at each corner. Fortunately for us we made it through the town without being ticketed.

Then we went through some very narrow backroads with some very tight turns, before finally arriving at the receiver.

Anyway, afterwards I looked at it in Streets & Trips when he wasn’t looking, and we could have taken the interstate all the way to such and such exit, turned left at the end of the ramp, then drove about a half-mile to the receiver and avoided all of that unnecessary brain damage.

Another time it made us switch 5 lanes in very heavy traffic to make a too quick exit when we could have stayed on the road we were already on. In any event, I realize it could be user error as well. Like I said, I was just a passenger in the vehicle with him for evaluation purposes.

I know, but the lifecycle of the unit, considering the price you are forced to pay, isn’t good at all from what I gather. Meanwhile, the rest of your paragraph may sound like adequate justification for you, but it sounds like justification to be ripped off again and again to me more than anything else. Sorry, but that is the way I see it. Nevertheless, it’s not like us professional drivers have a variety of options to choose from at this time.

Anyway, thanks for answering my many questions. I appreciate it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.