Trailer ABS out a citable offense?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by AdamT2k, Feb 17, 2010.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    After some research, some thought on this ABS sitaution, if you have a fault signal or trouble light or indicator on your rig... GET YOURSELF TO A SHOP and. do. not. move. until. it's fixed.

I consider ABS a vital part of trucking and have had it activate for me a number of times (Which is usually a situation going downhill really bad with life in danger at that point, not necessarily my own) and consider the ABS a DOT item to fix just as important as anything else on that truck.

I have driven for so long I do not expect a rig to have ABS but little by little the newer rigs up to 2000 and beyond were equipped with them anyway and my like or dislike was resolved when I have several incidents that were resolved with those things kicking in to buy me manuverablity for one to steer better to avoid someones or several someones or to cut down on the distance I need to stop. Which is like a magic carpet stopping very quickly. Much more quickly in terms of both time and necessary distance.

Ive said enough. If there is a problem with ABS and you are aware of it get to a shop today and fix it. Or it's going to come back and BITE YOU hard when and if you mash a family and it comes up that you knew it's busted and never fixed it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bentstack

Bentstack Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Well thing is the that own the trailer I pull if it brakes they get of the abs the n a trailer instead of fixing it right and concern is that if I get stopped after they fix it there is it illegal

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I thought about your statement carefully. IF it was my trailer as it is my vehicle etc I would get it fixed. Yes it's unwelcome expensive and so forth. But there is life saving in having the thing work properly.

If for some reason it's really expensive and hardly worth doing, maybe you can trade in trailer for another model. Arent trailers a dime a dozen out there? Older ones perhaps?

What do you think?

5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Put duct tape over it, won't see a thing. Had to do it once or twice when I noticed it coming on in the inbound

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The problem, is, no one seems to know how to diagnose the light or the system. Which can be anything from a warped drum to a bad computer.

As for not working. All it does is stop the brakes from locking up. It don't keep the brakes from working.

I hope i never get inspected with what i'm driving now. I have a 2012 tanker. It didn't come with a light. And i don't even think it came with the system. But, i don't know the history on teh trailer. there's defenitly no empty holes for missing light. And both my abs lights stay on, on the dash.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Whatever you do, don't pull the ABS fuse in your tractor, talk about a funny pucker ride.

8. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    If it's a 2012 trailer,it would have definitely had an ABS system at one time. they have been law since around 2000.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yeah, i know that. But like i said. There's no place for a light to even be. No empty holes, NOTHING.

10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I am glad my trailer doesn't have ABS. It is hard enough to keep it working on the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.