Trailer Parking Brake

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by UsualSuspect, Sep 18, 2017.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Here goes a post where I know the answer, but need confirmation. I was taught and always told the only time you normally engage the trailer parking brakes and dump the suspension is when hooking\unhooking, during loading and loading, and if you felt you needed the extra braking due to an incline you were parking on. I was taught to never use them during winter when parking.
    I am teamed up with a guy who insists on setting them every time we stop and dumping the suspension. You can hear, and sometimes feel the trailer or tractor moving and popping noises when he does this. Is it normal to set them at every stop?

AfterShock, ladr and tinytim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I suppose if that is what he wants to do then that's what you do, it's his truck or yours?

Winter is a special case and it;s coming up. I once set brakes in the dakotas when I broke the non rubber plastic airline at about -40 plus below zero. The brakes instantly froze to the wheels. Had to use a ball peen hammer under the tractor to get her loose, three wheels got loose and the 4th slowly rolled over one of my limbs but snow etc was not a problem then. And she plodded slowly downhill while I hopped into cab and got her settled.

As far as the creaking and popping, it's due to the suspenion being dumped. Settling everything onto the frames as it were. That's not always a good thing. I only dealt with suspension issues in airride when specific trailers automatically dumped onto dock pegs inside the bags when dropped or... in spread axle work where the aft axle is dumped to U turn tightly. (And gently...) Otherwise I leave the airride alone. Less air to pump up to pressure and feed to rig before taking off.

DoneYourWay, Jeck and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    There's no reason not to do so. Just don't do it in the winter as you said.

5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Got stopped on a hill one winter night, road was blocked with spun out trucks. Started to slide backwards with just the tractor brakes set. It was a bit slick that night. That's the only time I set the trailer brakes other than docked or unhooking.

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Set them or in reality, remove the air pressure from the trailer when you unhook or if you need to drop the bags, otherwise leave it alone.

Jeck and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    My trailer stays aired up if you set the brakes.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well what i do in winter is this, as i am getting to my home warehouse, and say about 2, maybe 3 city blocks of travel, i ride the brakes gently. i usually use the trolley for this. my home warehouse is in an industrial park with a 25 mph speed limit. what this does is warm up the brakes and drums, and dries out the trailer brakes. all these years at any job i have ever had, i have no problems with my trailer brakes freezing.

when i ran the road, and going into a truck stop, i'd try and do the same thing as well. also when i'd park, if there was snow already on the ground? i'd be in my parking spot and move forward and backwards a few times as to pack down the snow. not doing this, the heat from the tires can melt the snow and form ruts, then ice over, and many times, spinning wheels trying to get out the next day.

Grubby, randomname, Bean Jr. and 7 others Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Only time I've ever set both brakes if parked on an incline or the customer requires it.Did you tell that guy brakes can freeze up in the winter if he sets the red knob?

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  10. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I mentioned the freezing, the company trucks don't have trolley brakes, he said you get a hammer and beat on them until they release. I asked him if you have to release the brakes when you beat on them, why set them? He said to it may roll away if you move too much when sleeping. I don't buy that excuse,

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    As long as HE is willing to be the one crawling under there to free up the brakes when they freeze, I wouldn't worry about it. If he expects ME to crawl under there, the he better be doing as I tell him and NOT setting the trailer brakes.

As an aside, perhaps point out where it says "NOT FOR PARKING" very clearly on that red knob.

Grubby, Orangees and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.