Truckers Tailgating

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, May 21, 2022.

1. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    I was driving home at night from AZ to CA along the 10 and noticed again and again a a semi tailgating another semi, on a nearly empty interstate. Why are they doing this? Are they talking to the other trucker on the CB radio and want better reception? Are they utilizing the draft from the truck in front of them? Does this annoy the hell out of the driver in front? I noticed the trucks usually do not tailgate cars, just other trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Stupid behavior - that will eventually win a stupid prize.

4. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    Super Trucker with aluminum sun visor that covers 3/4 of the windshield and front nose that makes it impossible to make tight turns... yee haw, look at me.

jmarc77, peterd, Vision and 7 others Thank this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    They tailgate cars as well.
    And yes, it does irritate me.

A truck will tailgate me for miles and miles, then I will drop my speed by 5-10 until they go around.
    Then they are doing 70 and off into the distance they go.
    It boggles the mind, just as much as when a truck is going 62 as I am coming up. As soon as I get next to their truck as I am passing they bump up their speed to match mine.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Most new truck drivers just bring their bad habits from driving a 4-wheeler into the truck. Also, with SO MANY fleet trucks having their speed limited near the same few speeds it sometimes takes miles of following to finally decide if you want to spend the next 18 minutes passing the truck in front of you. Also, some drivers follow another truck, let him do the driving, so they can focus on their smartphone.

There is some fuel economy advantage from following a truck, but I doubt any of the truck drivers you see tailgating care how much the boss spends on fuel. Maybe 10-20% of truck drivers even have a CB, half f those probably only turn it on when they come to a traffic jam. When in doubt, always assume the others on the road are on the phone or being bad drivers.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Well perhaps their all ex Nascar drivers and are just used to keeping their nose near the other vehicles rear end? But then if we watch Nascar its very obvious to see what results when one follows to closely at high speeds. :cool:

8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    From what I see, it's the cheap imported labor from California typically driving a Cascadia...

If they ain't glued to my rear it's because they're parked on the shoulder or blocking the fuel lanes at the truckstop.

Oxbow, Last Call, Concorde and 11 others Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    The people it doesn't seem to bother forgot what mirrors are for or that they exist.

10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
  11. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I never understood why some people tailgate cars especially. 4 wheelers look for any reason to sue and all they have to do is gently tap their brake when a truck is 6 inches from their bumper on the highway

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.