Two weeks notice...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CruzControhl, Mar 16, 2019.

1. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Totally agree abou twhat Werner did, sometimes you just can’t help that.

What you have said is the reason i believe in not burning bridges. When i opened my own authority, it was my previous employers who threw work my way when i didn’t have any. None of them wanted to see me fail. Of course they all keep reminding me they have open trucks i could drive. Lol.

I’ve only ever burned down one bridge in my life, it was senior year of high school. To this day i still regret doing what i did.

CruzControhl Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i did the same thing.....they will notice i am not there.

a new employer only has to be told that you will give that 2 week notice, after that, they could give a flying flip. heck they may want you to start ASAP..

CruzControhl Thanks this.
  4. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I've always gave 2 weeks notice besides one job. I've had different experiences than what most say. I even gave a 2 week notice after I finished my year contract with Prime. My manager actually ended up trying to work me past my 2 weeks and would call and check if I wanted to change my mind (i didnt lol). All of the other jobs gave me the option if I wanted to work my full 2 weeks or quit as soon as possible. Any job I worked out my full two weeks always told me I could come back whenever.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    To be honest that 2 weeks notice thing is disappearing all across the country. It's not just transportation. Most all carriers just want their equipment safe. Even if you left a notice that notice is not going to show up on your history required by 391.23. In fact I am surprised this subject even comes up anymore.

CruzControhl and bzinger Thank this.
  6. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    A two weeks notice is nice and important in a small company where replacements are hard to find, there is unfinished business etc.

If you are a truck driver at a mega, it does not matter very much if you quit at a terminal immediately, or give a two week notice, they are set up to deal with it, have extra drivers, a hiring pipeline etc.

It is regrettable to say, but it is similar to a Wal-Mart cashier not needing to give a two week notice.

CruzControhl and sevenmph Thank this.
  7. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    IMO, its a good practice to give 2 weeks notice. The employer appreciates it, and it looks good on your part. I've had the 2 week notcie go both ways. One employer let me actually do my last 2 weeks at the terminal. But then another one told me that Friday would be my last day. In both instances, everything was respectful and peaceful.

Either way it works out, its best you give the two weeks.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some companies had such a low esteem and do not bother to take care of the drivers.

I left two as a experiment decades ago when treated badly, by then I had 5 years in and expected better. But you wont find it with King Chair fastened firmly in the throne room.

Took one 6 months to notice and took the other 4 to notice. They called, you got a load get going. Oh no I don't I quit months ago (6 for 1 and 4 for the other) and you didnt even notice. Im already working on a Cali load and no time to be fooling with their stuff.

That's when the yelling started. I must assume it's ongoing to this day. One of those two was really bad and the second time I had to restrain from violence on the premises I left permanently that hour. Those two do not exist on my employment record. It thankfully does not exist in the social security payroll papers which was the problem. Where is that paycheck? Eventually they themselves do not exist, assets, buildings and land sold at auction and equiptment sent overseas for a dime a dollar.

CruzControhl and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  9. sometruckerinoregon

sometruckerinoregon Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2019
    I am very conflicted over this. in January I put in my two weeks notice at my current company. In order to keep me they offered and extra $5 an hour. Its been over a month and the $5 was never added. furthermore my hours have been cut from 48 a week to 40. The carrier that was going to hire me has already filled the spot so now i'm doing the who job search stuff all over again.

I feel like the company has screwed me over on this. In me mind I am justified in just quitting when I find a new job. However, I don't want the lack of 2 weeks notice to reflect negatively on me with future employers.

CruzControhl and Woodys Thank this.
  10. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    No worries find new job give two day notice ,I quit today!

CruzControhl, UturnGirl and Coover Thank this.
  11. Reverend Falstaff

Reverend Falstaff Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I always gave 2 weeks notice, and never once had cause to regret it. I know there are some shady companies who'll shoot you through the grease, and maybe I lucked out; but the last 3 jobs I quit I gave proper notice and did the whole 2 weeks after that. Then I always got back to my home yard, and one of the companies even covered the costs of the bus (yeah it was a bus ride) home. No hassles, no bad feelings...other than a couple times asking if I was sure I wanted to go. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe it was because I always handled my business at each one right and didn't piss anybody off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.