Type 2 diabetes is one of the costliest and deadliest afflictions of modern times

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Chinatown, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Deadly duo? Paul Zimmet, Professor of Diabetes at Monash University

[​IMG]
    Type 2 diabetes is one of the costliest and deadliest afflictions of modern times, as predominant as it is preventable. Its ravaging effects on Covid-19 complications are well established but does it also work the other way around? Can Covid-19...
    Jul 11, 2021 06:41

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I read a while back that diabetic care consumes almost 30% of the total VA healthcare budget.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I did not read the article. I do know that diabetic meds are very expensive. I don't use it, but I understand just 1 Toujeo (U-300) pen is OVER $200. To put this into perspective I use a Lantus pen and go through about 3 a month. Then go look at what Jardiance costs! Last I heard a 90 day supply was OVER $1600. Novolog is expensive. Things like Ozempic are horrid on the pocketbook. This is another reason I beg these kids today to not carry that extra weight into their middle-age years. Diabetes is one of the most insidious diseases out there. Everything from rotting your feet to extra risk for having heart issues. If I don't keep my blood sugar under control it can and has caused me serious problems with -----

-----in fact, I had a serious tonic-clonic seizure Monday because I made a dosing mistake and injected too much Novolog insulin. Thankfully my neighbor was handy and she injected me with Glucagon. So yes, it's expensive and to be honest with the exception of type 1 can be avoided most of the time.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    What about Covid?

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One place where I used to deliver often, the store manager has Type 1 Diabetes. Already had one big toe cut off.
    Yet, every time I saw him he was eating these:
    [​IMG]

7. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    nredfor88 and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
  9. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    No, we have a China problem. While this batch just thinned the herd - largely sparing the young and healthy - the next round won't be so kind. We have learned NOTHING from this. No one wants to hold China accountable so they just keep claiming that it came from frozen fish China bought from some other country while continuing down the same path that brought us here. Still doing gain of function research on rare, dangerous viruses in labs less secure than my garage? Check. Still allowing direct flights from China daily with no health screening whatsoever? Check. Covid 2 Electric Boogaloo is coming. Soon.

Team818, 91B20H8 and JonJon78 Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wish there was more emphasis put on making the population healthy vs those stupid masks.

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I am NOT a Physician and I am NOT a Diabetic Educator. I do know that Covid attacks the lungs. I also know Diabetes can cause major issues with the Heart. I have spoken to my primary care provider about this subject many times over the years. If you don't have diabetes under control you are at risk of complications from many things of which Covid is just one! I know people that have died because of diabetic complications of COPD and I also know people that have died from diabetic complications and the flu!

Team818 and LameMule Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.