Types of truckers passing me

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Diantane, Feb 25, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Oh snap... and here I was just joking... {sigh}

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  4. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    And you only lose a a few minutes passing a truck that is only going 1/2 mph slower.

5. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV

6. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    For all of you saying not to flash my high beams to signal.... I drive a 2015 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution. The "high beams" are nothing more than a weak driving light. We have a drop lot that is out in the country with no lights. I tested the extra distance of light you get with the high beams on. It's only 55 feet more. It only shines in your lane (won't light up a wall out in front). It's not like the four headlight KW's or Peterbuits. I was even wondering if trucks that are passing me at night could even see a difference. Any light that hits their mirror couldn't be anymore than 5-10 candlepower

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The bulbs used in the Cascadia are the same bulbs for high and low. Nice of one burns out, you can just swap. I think your headlights are out of adjustment.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  8. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Actually your math doesn't work... If I am passing you at a fixed 1/2 mph faster than you, and continue at said fixed rate of speed, it doesn't matter which lane I am in.

9. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I'm an hourly driver,usually run 2 mph over the speed limit.I Don't Care if someone passes me...if they can do it!! I think what OP was getting at is ok...I'll even be courteous drop back 2 or 3 mph,but,I don't want to be stuck behind you at 58 mph for the next 5 miles while a series of trucks pass on the left.I Was Doing Fine At 62 in the Right Lane for (2 hours) before this guy wanted me to pass and lug behind him

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. DsquareD

DsquareD Road Train Member

May 21, 2009
    Green Bay, WI
    How about a 2 lane, how do you handle that?

Granted, you better have a truck that can get the job done if you're going to pass on a two lane highway.

Had one pass me today like that while I was going 60 MPH. Once I knew he was going for it, had a clear shot, and he had good overlap, I cut my speed (never want to slow down if there's a chance passing truck will abort and try to get back behind). I don't care what the speed limit is, I'm not going to make anyone hang out there any longer than necessary. I prefer if they wait until there is an extra passing lane, but I can't control others.

It doesn't happen often, but why be a jerk?

Dna Mach and corneileous Thank this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

I agree, why do people have to be a jerk and play Moses expecting everyone else to part like the Red Sea for their special princess 'must be in front' mentality?

Just in the last couple days going through some rolling hills, I'm in cruise about 64, my truck begins to bog down to about 59 or so and here comes billy bigrigger on the outside passing. jumps in front of me and obviously heavier, bogs down to 45 or so. So now I have to jump out and pass him up. We play this hopscotch game for half a county and the road flattens out and he goes on his way about 72 miles an hour finally way out front. 30 minutes later he's pulled over to the side of the road and again I have to signal out to the fast lane to give him a wide berth. So much effort and uneeded lane change activitiy for no reason.

There was a video on FB truck page thing, a 4wheeler hardcore tailgating another driver in the fast lane who was already doing the speed limit, the guy brake checked her and the tailgater lost control and crashed out in the median. There is a heated discussion going on both sides, people blaming the brake checker who couldn't get over because traffic coming up on the onramp anyway and others blaming the tailgater for aggressive bully driving. I'm in that camp.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.