Understanding 8/2 split

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Wespipes, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    TL;DR you may, instead of taking a continuous 10 hour break, take 2 breaks consisting of 8 hours in the sleeper berth and 2 hours of any combination of off duty and sleeper berth. You may take these breaks in any order (e.g. 8 then 2, or 2 then 8) at your discretion, and upon the completion of the second break your clocks are retroactively reset to the end of the first break.

RE: reefers... sorry, but the spot next to you was the last available spot in the truck stop. Can't expect another driver to go park on the side of the highway just because you don't like what kind of trailer they have, man

4. SIMON7

SIMON7 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2019
    No....it wasn't the last spot they just follow me around trying to wake me up.....lol...I said I was hoping not expecting........Typically I try to avoid stops or park fwd etc....I drove reefer awhile and wasn't ever able to rest sufficiently. ...tried using earplugs but can't hear alarm well....
    Such an extreme difference from living in the dead silence and darkness of 50 acres of timber at the end of a dead end dirt road....to...the roar.
    Sure like using an espar bunk heater over an apu....fantastic engineering.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Earplugs sayeth the me.

MGE Dawn Thanks this.
  6. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Commandment Dos; get thee a loud alarm

Trucker61016 and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  7. Zonie

Zonie Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I had a teenager who couldn't hear an alarm clock next to his head. I wired in a burglar alarm siren to it. Woke him up twice, then never again, but we could hear it across the house. Some people can sleep through anything, others, wake to a gnat's fart.

Bean Jr., tscottme and dosgatos Thank this.
  8. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Commandment Tres: if audible alarms don't work, get a bed shaker alarm

(BTW, I WAS that guy growing up. 5 alarms, couldn't wake up to save my life)

Trucker61016 and Snailexpress Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The 30 or so minutes off duty have a green line, which means he was driving. You have to click on the graph and then it will bring up when you changed your duty status each time that day and also the remarks that were put in for each change. Personally I’d like it if the screen that showed your duty status and remarks for the day was the home screen instead of the one pictured. But overall I like the Keep Truckin ELD, I’ve had no issues with it.

10. alo4646

alo4646 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2020
    more work then its worth.

Bean Jr. and tscottme Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

And it's the easiest way to generate an "egregious HOS violation". For example to violate your 10/14/70 clock by 3 or more hours because you screw up the 8/2. IMO, you should ONLY consider using it BEFORE you start your "day" and ONLY AFTER you fully understand how to PROVE you are in HOS compliance on both sides of your 8/2.

12. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I have used it several times for situations where a shipper screws up loading me, leaving me on the docks for too long. Since I am sitting there off duty for more than two hours, I can run the rest of my day and then sleep 8 to get some time back to make up some lost time. Generally this only really helps with pick-today, deliver-tomorrow type loads.

MGE Dawn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.