Upgrading tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Penumbra, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Yes. Sometimes the distance between parking lanes is short enough that you have to pull forward almost bumper to bumper with the trucks facing you, then worm back and forth to make the tractor turn a few degrees at a time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Penumbra

Penumbra Medium Load Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Aaaaaaaand back into problems!

I told Driver Solutions that I would CONSIDER driving as a team, but I couldn’t commit to anything.

the day after I got out the truck with my first mentor, I made it very clear to my liaison and my driver development instructor back at HQ that I had zero interest in driving with anyone after I finished upgrading. That was 3+ weeks ago. They told me no problem (thankfully in writing).

I just went to sign my paperwork, and they had a partner for me. I told them no, I’m going solo, so now I have an entire ticked off office staff trying to figure out what to do these people are killing me

4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Steven's Transport does the same thing with leasing trucks to new grads. If you ever express any interest at all at any point in leasing, they will try to hard sell you into a lease truck.

Just keep saying no. Politely. "Sorry, after teaming with my trainer, I now know that teaming is a bad idea for me. I managed to make it through, but cbin fever was getting bad at the end."

Some companies require teaming. If you hired onto one of them, and agreed to team as part of your contract, you might be in quite a pickle.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Penumbra

Jul 29, 2019
    Well guys, Pam really knows how to pull um.

I’m 4 hours from home. I had just over 4 hours left on my clock today. They decided to give me a tcall load to Chicagoland area. No big deal, whatever.

i waited an hour for the tcall to show up. Left here with 3 and a half hours left on my clock.

they wanted me to take the toll road all the way. That’s fine, but everywhere close to hear if I exited I couldn’t get back on.

Ended up stopping with 2 hours left on my clock at the service center. Accident up ahead, and with my limited experience I couldn’t risk being put in a situation where I had to create a parking spot.

here’s where it gets fun. That Load was due in Chicagoland at 1159 tonight....we’ll if my maths right it’ll get there around 1500 tomorrow!

good planning!

In positive news, I parked without making a scene...yes it was a pull through/straight back, but it’s dark so I’ll take the easy one!

6. 2BContinued

2BContinued Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2019
    North Carolina
    Congrats on passing your upgrade :hello1:

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. 2BContinued

2BContinued Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2019
    North Carolina
    And good work on the "parking without making a scene" too.

Dreazz75, D.Tibbitt and austinmike Thank this.
  8. Penumbra

Jul 29, 2019
    Thanks.

dumb question guys.

I want my AC on. It’s hot lol. Will keeping the truck key turned to “accessories” kill my battery?

I have an “auto idle” I believe it’s called, but it won’t let you run ac/heat

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Your trainer did not train you on the cab climate controls?

Anyway, if you have opti-idle, here is how to activate it on a manual transmission Freightliner.

1. Turn off the truck. Then crank it again.

2. Switch gear selector switch on shifter to high gear.

3. Turn on cruise control. An amber light with the words IDLE MGMT should start blinking.

4. Go into your cab and turn on the thermostat. Set temp. Set temp range.

5. The truck should now run to keep the cab in the temp range you selected.

If you need heat, and your truck has an Espar heater, your opti idle will not work to heat the truck, but it will turn the truck on to heat the block and recharge the batteries.

If the above does not help you. Try Googling with the make of your truck and the name of the cab climate control system.

Dreazz75 Thanks this.
  10. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    The a/c in the truck doesn't work without the truck running. The compressor is spun by the engine.

Also it looks to be around mid 50's around IL, so how is it hot?

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. Penumbra

Jul 29, 2019
    I’m not in Illinois yet, still in Ohio, and I don’t know. I didn’t say it made sense lol I’m just hot lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.