US 550, during a snowstorm

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by striker, Jan 18, 2012.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    SO, I do a run every two weeks, part of it takes me on US 550 over Coal Bank, Molass and Red Mtn. Passes. Been doing this run for the last year. Few weeks back, someone posted about surviving 550 SB from Ouray to Durango, during the day on dry roads. As was pointed out, now do it at night, in a snowstorm with chains on. Well, I got 3/4 of it. Snowstorm (finally tally was 24" above 13,000 ft., with 6 to 8 in Durango, 8 to 10 in Silverton, and 1 to 3 in Ouray), chains, near white out at times, only had 8K in the wagon. 4 single chains on the tractor and a drag chain on the trailer. Here's a few pic's to help the rookies out, and before anyone says a word, I was going so slow, under 15 mph with no traffic, that I stopped before taking each pic.:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Looks real fresh thats what I would use for a spearmint gum commercial "a blast of freshness" How long did it take you to drive thru it? did u get any trailer sliding?

TheRipper Thanks this.
  4. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    Those are some encouraging pictures.:biggrin_2556: I'll be heading up that way with my new job. We haul alot of oilfield equipment up there. That'll be my first taste of the Rockies.

alds Thanks this.
  5. ann2009

ann2009 Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2009
    USA
    beautiful pictures,where is that?I mean what state?

6. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    that is US 550 between Durango and Ouray Colorado, SW part of the state.

Yep, definetly had some sliding of the trailer, hence the need for a drag chain. Had all 4 outer drives chained. Had a couple of 4 wheelers and a straight truck that I encountered who were not happy with it. Met up with one other semi heading same direction, he was scared witless and was creeping along at 10 mph or less. At times I would get up to 30 mph before slowing for curves. Typical drive from Durango to Montrose is a hair under 3 hrs, this time took me 3.5 hrs.

7. ann2009

ann2009 Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2009
    USA
    the scenery looks beautiful.Been up through colorado a few times but not that way yet...Im thinking Id probably be pretty scared to around those curves,looks like a long way down....

8. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

So, a drag chain... Forgive my ignorance, but is this literally a chain you drag behind you?

In all my time running out west I was always able to avoid having to chain up. And the few times I would have had to I was lucky enough to be with a company that didn't want me to go if chains were required.

Grijon Thanks this.
  9. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Drag chain(s) = chains applied to trailer tires to aid in braking on snowy/icey surfaces, to prevent trailer tires from breaking loose and causing the trailer to slide.

alds, Lepton1, Grijon and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Colorado:biggrin_25514:

alds Thanks this.
  11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    very nice man! glad it wasn't me;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.