US FOODS and SYSCO Performance Pay

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by brazsco, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Wecj3381

Wecj3381 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Syracuse, NY
    Ive worked for US Foods out of their Clifton Park, NY division for 2 years now, I work out of the Syracuse depot, but Clifton Park is our warehouse. I can say your pay will vary based on what warehouse you work out of. From what I have noticed, the union shops typically pay by the hour, and much less. Clifton Park is non union. In all honesty, I can't even break down my own pay properly. We were given the breakdown, but Ive long since lost the paper and forgotten how it exactly broke down. I have never complained about pay, it's by far the most money Ive ever made, especially considering the time off I get. I will tell you as much as I can about the pay.

First off, we make 10 cents a mile, not much but better than nothing. Next we are paid by the piece. The amount per piece varies based on how many pieces per stop you average. If you have a lot of cases with very few stops you will be paid much less per case than a guy with less cases but more stops. I know there are 3 different levels of piece pay you can get(I just can't remember the exact numbers). But if you are going out with 8 stops and 900 cases you will end up making less money that day than a guy that goes out with 16 stops and 600 cases.

On top of piece pay you also make $3.75 per stop.

We also make more money based on TP(which i think stands for Total production...but that's a guess). You log in electronically to every stop and based on how fast you work you get a TP number. The higher your number the bigger bonus you can make. So, the faster you work, the more you make. We also have an hourly rate(around 20 bucks an hour) that we make for OT for delays, breakdowns, etc.

I work 4 days a week. We never work weekends. I have every Wednesday off, I never have overnights. I typically make minimum $225 dollars a day on a really slow day, and as much as $400 a day on a busy day. My 4 day check before taxes is typically $1100-$1200 per week. I average around 40-44 hours in my 4 day week. I don't have the seniority to get on the 5 day runs, but I don't even care. I made over 60k last year working 4 days a week. I would take 5 days if I could get it, but working 4 keeps me feeling pretty good. The work is hard, but if you can survive the first 6 months doing it, you really just get used to it. Hope this helps answer anyone's questions...

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    brazsco and zero5 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York

there are many teamsters US Foods shops with performance pay in place, and most would blow your pay out of the water. US Foods in Perth Amboy makes 53 cents a case, on top pay for pre and post trip, and truck loading, if any is done. Do the math with that, and they are one of the highest paid shops in the country, since they peddle NYC all day. Swedesboro NJ is similar, although they have the choice of hourly or performance pay. Baltimore isn't on performance pay, but at 26 an hour, i sort of doubt they are hurting.

We work on an hourly rate in Buffalo, with OT after your shift, and from what you are saying, your pfp system pays you less than our guys on hourly. 60k is the going rate for guys who are at the bottom of the seniority list, anyone with some time in usually ends up with more than that, and we don't kill ourselves for it either.

We have a lot of drivers with over 10 years of service in Buffalo, I would be interested to see how many guys stick around at your barn? TP pay sounds like an age discrimination suit waiting to happen.......

4. Wecj3381

Feb 6, 2012
    Syracuse, NY
    Im low man at 2 years. The next lowest guy at my depot has 9 years. The other 6 guys are over 10 years. There are guys in Syracuse making 85k(5 day workweeks). The other 4 day guys make more than me as well, because Im low man and get stuck with the lower paying routes....Less cases + more miles. Still good money compared to other jobs I've had. Luckily, we had some interviews this week because we are getting some new business in Syr and needed to hire a new guy. That will at least bump me up one spot on the list=P

5. Exit310

Exit310 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    cullman,alabama
    I live here in Alabama, can any Sysco Drivers tell me abt the pay scale down here, i`ve got an app already turned in.Thanks!

6. already gone

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    we have heard about this redistribution of work, we are losing a couple of runs that make no sense for us to service, notably some stuff in Binghamton. most are good runs for our drivers, which sucks for the high seniority guys, but I had always wondered how long before corporate flexed their brain cell and looked at a map, and then realized that you guys and Albany are an hour from Bham, and we are 4 hours away. truthfully, we cant find the drivers to work our routes, so it makes sense.

I dunno about Syracuse or Albany, but over here, for every 5 drivers we hire, 1 stays.

7. Wecj3381

Feb 6, 2012
    Syracuse, NY
    Im not sure how Albany is. When we do hire in Syracuse, most of the time it's just a reference from a driver so it usually works out. That's how I got hired, and also how the past few before me and the guy they just hired. I never understand why foodservice companies can't keep drivers. Sure it's hard work, but so is beer, milk, and soda delivering, and it's better than those places in my opinion. But yeah, driving 4 hours away from the yard for this kind of work is pretty rough. I think you guys might be getting some of our work out towards Hornell. It's a bunch of easy stuff, schools mostly. But I'll believe any of that stuff when I see. They have already delayed it like 3 times, now we're hearing we won't get those stops from Buffalo until September.

8. already gone

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    We will see, our steward is one of the guys who has been here over 3 decades, every time the brain trust thinks they have some smooth new idea, he usually laughs in their face and asks them about the last few times the tried it and it failed, usually under a previous terminal manger.

hornell would almost make sense, it seems like corporate drew an invisible line, and looked at what each terminal does, as we do a lot of schools already, I am on a school bid myself.

9. Yellow-Gatorade

Yellow-Gatorade Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Any socal drivers in here?

10. IslandDriver

IslandDriver Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Vancouver Island
    There is different formulas for different operating houses atm. Sysco Vancouver is hiring full time top rate after 12 months over 30$ an hour, Sysco Victoria top rate 22.50 an hour plus .07 cents per piece.

11. Exit310

Exit310 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    cullman,alabama
    Is there any beer drivers that do foodservice now? If so ,tell me the difference and which you like the best,beer route or foodservice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.