Using Generator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bignick, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bignick

bignick Light Load Member

May 9, 2013
    Gastonia NC
    Is there any dot rules about using a permanent mounted gasoline generator instead of an APU.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Quite a few drivers have done it for decades. Never even had DOT look at it.

bignick and Cetane+ Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think there is a regulation somewhere about the amount of gasoline you can carry ... IIRC it is maximum 8 gallons if you are using red jerry cans ... not sure how it would work if you had an extra fuel tank permanently mounted to the frame. I am also a user of the gasoline generator and portable a/c unit. Costs way less than frame mounted diesel APU, CARB can't touch you (if you run that country) and easily transferred from one truck to another.

Cetane+ and mjtrucking Thank this.
  5. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    What is the fuel consumption vs a diesel apu? And what size/ watt generator do you use? I am interested in this also.

6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I use the Honda 2000 EU? EI? something like that. 2000 watts, holds about 1.25 US gallons - will run 1500 watt continuous a/c unit, 8000 BTU, for about 4 hours. I am looking into a way to have an extended run tank so I don't have to refill it as often. It keeps me cool even on the hottest of days. But then again, I can't speak for the southern heat - I don't get much farther south than I-80 too often ...

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The diesel APU is more in the 0.25 to 0.5 gallons per hour range I think .. don't have any first hand experience with one though, but for the cost of them, it only makes sense if you buy it on a new truck and keep that truck for at least 4 years, then you will break even on it. Depends on how much you value engine life from idle hours, I guess. I know I would use a frame mounted one WAY more than I idle anyway. Probably end up costing me money.

8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I have the same thing, the small Honda 2000i generator and 8000 btu air conditioner. So long as the interior of the truck is 86 or less the A/C unit can keep up. Generally what I can do is set it up at the end of the day on full throottle for about half an hour with the truck already super cooled then switch the generator to low idle and it will run anywhere between 5-7 hours on one gallon. Works best in shade or after dark, really hot/humid days usually have to idle the truck anyway.

9. Ed MacLane

Ed MacLane Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
  10. bignick

bignick Light Load Member

May 9, 2013
    Gastonia NC
    What kind of a/c are yall using? i have an roof mount heat/ac unit like that you you find in rv's. it runs at about 13 amps on high. I was gonna look into a 3k watt gen. The one i have now is a 3k but it is LOUD!!

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.