Venezia transport

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Dave1837, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Eric11b

Eric11b Bobtail Member

May 3, 2021

I would just stay where you are. I went to Martin Transport and it's the same way. They leave me alone, I can drive how I want, I'm still home every day. Newer equipment is coming slowly just like everyone else. I'm grossing between 1500-2100 a week which is double what I was making at venezia.

Do I have regrets? Yeah a bit. I really did enjoy my time at venezia and hated leaving them. But Florida isn't cheap and 800-1000 take home wasn't cutting it.

Benefits are basically the same at martin as they were at venezia.

Speed_Drums and Dave1837 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Thats crazy! I knew the rates were a little lower in FL but you'd double that easily in PA. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you man.

Eric11b Thanks this.
  4. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Made the decision to stay where I'm at. The way I figure it, I can make more money getting paid by the mile. Pittsburgh to Chicago for instance, around 460 miles in 7 hours, .62 cpm Is $285 whereas $30/hr is only $210. I'm not one to drag my feet to run out my clock, I like to run. Plus like I said before, I get left the heck alone here. Been talking to my DM about some propane work for the winter time that'll get me home more and they seem ok with letting me do that after the new year

Speed_Drums and leviant0107 Thank this.
  5. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    6 days x 460 miles = 2760
    2760 x .62cpm = 1711.2

6 days x 8 hours = 48 hours = 52 hours (1.5 on the two hours OT)
    52 hours x $30 = 1560

Makes sense.

6. SwervinMervin

SwervinMervin Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2021
    West Chester, PA
    It appears Venezia has been stepping up their game. YEARS ago the opinion was they were super cheap and didn't pay worth a ####. I guess that isn't the case anymore. Better pay and benefits tends to attract better quality drivers. I've noticed the difference between then and now. Good on Venezia for stepping it up!

I've hauled that stuff before. I didn't like it very much. The more careful you are on the rack about not getting that stuff on your work clothes, the more dirty you'll become. When checking an empty tank vessel, always make sure to climb up and pop the lid to see what was inside it, and make sure you're not about to pull a tank vessel that had emulsified asphalt in it. Mixing that with the hot stuff will result in a boil over, and possibly very serious injuries. A boil over is not pretty. I was never "that guy" but got to see it happen a couple of times at racks in OK and TX.

Dave1837 Thanks this.
  7. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    They compensate us very well here compared to other outfits I've talked to. What I like is we get paid for everything we do. The only time we have to give them an hour is for breakdowns. We don't mix asphalt and tar trailers, they're all 7500 gal tanks but they're separate from each other

Speed_Drums and SwervinMervin Thank this.
  8. SwervinMervin

SwervinMervin Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2021
    West Chester, PA
    They've definitely changed for the better. The outfit I worked for in Amarillo, TX paid jack squat. Liquid asphalt is something I have no desire to go back to hauling. It's easy work but you can get jacked up pretty bad if you aren't paying attention. One of the most messed up accidents I ever saw on video was where Darrell ended up covered in 400º liquid asphalt. I knew that driver. We worked for the same company. I saw the video when I was chatting with the company's safety guy about it. I also saw the email Calumet shot the company where they admitted fault. From that point on, they shirked their responsibilities. I think Darrell passed away a few years ago.

The way that boil over happened was due to Calumet's cheapness in covering their hoses. It had rained that day and they point their hoses upwards. A ton of rain got inside the hose, the rack operator unknowingly pumped the water INTO the tank while Darrel was standing on top so he could tell the guy to shut it down after taking off enough product to make weight. He didn't get the chance. Calumet's own policy states drivers are not to stand on top their own tanks when the unloading process is going on.

That refinery is some high grade BS. You can hit your mark inside the tank and either be way over or way under 80,000lbs gross weight. The loading temperatures are all over the place for any given asphalt product.

Dave1837 Thanks this.
  9. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Hauling carbon black out of the refinery in Warren PA is tricky too, just this week they said it was 250 degrees so I figured I would load around 5700 gallons. When I got back there and turned the pump on it was like 60 degrees lol loaded 5400 gallons and was 79,980. And yes, they'll make you pump off if you're even 20 lbs overweight...

US Steel is very consistent. Their coal tar is always the same temp and the loading system is computerized. Basically you just push start and wait for the buzzer to sound that it's done loading. Simple I like lol

10. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    How’s propane treating you?

11. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Good! Been at it about 3 weeks now. I had a very good trainer, rode with him for a week and shadowed him for 2 days. I've been home every day, usually running 12-13 hrs overnight into the early morning. Perfect for what I have going on at home. Probably go back on the tar side once spring comes around

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.