Vibration?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by jimmy the cat, Jun 11, 2016.

1. jimmy the cat

jimmy the cat Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2011
    i have a 1989 377 that I have owned for many years and it has a vibration hop at 60 mph that I can't get rid off. I have changed ride height, new drums new shocks? Michelin tires and I have centramatic balancers on all axles and it will be fine then it starts to vibrate and hop and it gets worse until I speed up or back off. Could it be drive shaft? It also has old style bud wheels. I need some ideas please.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Do you feel it in the seat, the steering wheel, or both?

4. jimmy the cat

Dec 29, 2011
    Seat shifter cab everything but steering wheel. I have a feeling it's the old style double nut bud wheels. I will put it on blocks and spin the tires when it quits raining. I just put new drums so will the fit if I change hubs and rims to unilocks?

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If it started after the brake job, Look at the brake drum part num. to be sure that the correct drums are on now CK. drums that came off to be sure?

6. jimmy the cat

Dec 29, 2011
    I have owned this truck for 10 years and it has done this before and after brake job. It has also had 3 sets of tires on it and it has hopped with all of them. I have also used balancing beads and now centermatics. On the odd occasion it will not do it then turn a corner and it feels like your driving on a washboard. Thanks for replies

7. jimmy the cat

Dec 29, 2011
    I also own a 06 379 and drive the same roads with it, it's like riding in a stretched limo compared to the old girl. I should add the 377 has newway rear suspension that has been added later in life. Thanks again

baha Thanks this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If its the air ride neway my W/star would do same hop be cause bushing would stick off track after a turn an stab on the brakes hard was the way to center them before I rebush the arms for a grand of parts an nuts ,bolts

9. jimmy the cat

Dec 29, 2011
    How do you check for wear? I have had a safety done at two shops into the last 7 months and it seems they didn't let anything go.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I get a vibration about the same speed, a lil slower. Asked the guys at a tire shop about it and they said it was an alignment problem. It didn't do that until they put on new drive tires so I'm not inclined to believe them...

11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you have a extra long tire bar or R/R jack handle put it under arm with bushing lift up on bushing to see movement, then jack up side of truck till weight comes off them and ck. other side of bushing for slop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.