Walmart question

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by dave01282000, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Tram-law

Tram-law Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2018
    I think Walmart is trying a new program to hire drivers as a combination of yard driver/city driver with only a minimal amount of prior experience and from my understanding is that the CDL needs to be obtained in about 6 months of hire. Whether Walmart does the training or whether the applicant has to get training on their dime is what I’m not to clear on. I have no clue on what type of pay the position has, but in my opinion it sounds like good opportunity for those who want to get a foot in the door at Walmart and for those who don’t have any prior truck driving experience. Personally in my opinion, for those who have no prior experience, what I would do is go to a reputable truck driving school(one NOT provided by a mega carrier), get hired by a company like USXpress(but definitely not Swift), endure however long their ride along training(take whatever the trainer

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Reason for edit: Corrected time frame
    dave01282000 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. braceface

braceface Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Total Bull Crap. No way true.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. Tram-law

Tram-law Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2018
    I think Walmart is trying a new program to hire drivers as a combination of yard driver/city driver with only a minimal amount of prior experience and from my understanding is that the CDL needs to be obtained in about 6 months of hire. Whether Walmart does the training or whether the applicant has to get training on their dime is what I’m not to clear on. I have no clue on what type of pay the position has, but in my opinion it sounds like good opportunity for those who want to get a foot in the door at Walmart and for those who don’t have any prior truck driving experience. Personally in my opinion, for those who have no prior experience, what I would do is go to a reputable truck driving school(one NOT provided by a mega carrier), get hired by a company like USXpress(but definitely not Swift), endure however long their ride along training is(take whatever the trainer says with a grain of salt unless they are truly knowledgeable), don’t get frustrated and be patient no matter how exhausting in dealing with the “trainer” is, get on a dedicated account like Walmart(which is a fairly simple account to work), just try and put up with as much BS as you can from their operations and dispatchers(it may seem almost impossible at times), don’t draw any negative attention to yourself(stay out of sight out of mind), get comfortable and improve your driving skills, talk to other drivers from companies that you may want to work for in the future(research those companies as much as you can, especially pay close attention to the turnover rate those companies may have), stick it out with your first company for a minimum of at least a year, decide whether you are content with who you are working for or whether you just plain hate it, and then find a company that you think is a good fit for you and one you believe will you will be happier at. Also make sure that first carrier you were hired by is one that will reimburse you for at least some of what you paid for trucking school and be sure that the debt is paid in full before you leave and that when you leave you won’t have to pay them back. Some companies in lieu of a bonuses offer tuition reimbursement. Now I know some companies are offering some ridiculous bonuses out there, but this is for one of two reasons, either they truly value drivers or they have a hard time keeping them. Keep in mind the fine print on whether it’s a guaranteed bonus with no strings or whether the bonus has to be forfeited or possibly even paid back after you leave. Just remember to grin and bare it with your first company for a minimum of a year, 18months is even better. Now if you chose to stick it out for 3 years, your chances at getting hired by some some excellent carriers will be greatly improved.

Reason for edit: Timeframe correction
  5. Tram-law

Tram-law Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2018
    To bracefsce
    I agree I doubt they will have a CDL school but being hired with the stipulation of obtaining a CDL may be true.
    I copied and pasted this from Walmart’s job search page:

Minimum Qualifications
    Yard Driver and City Driver positions will require specific qualifications to be met in order to compete for these position.
    Yard Driver- Off Property (Driving off facility property)
    • Valid state-issued driver’s license
    • Will obtain Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within 6 months of job entry date and will maintain it while employed in this position

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    thats on the dc side. has zero to do with the transportation office side. you will not be a private fleet driver. they tried this years ago. it failed big time. walmart transportation does not have a new driver cdl school. any new stuff needs to be studied and sent out over broad cast.

braceface Thanks this.
  7. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    it has nothing to do with the transportation office. dc side only. them ad's have been up on the website for over a year.

T.Rucker Thanks this.
  8. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    Or you can go to Swift and they hire drivers to work for Walmart. Especially in the Southwest. I was getting rushed by Swift more than 3 times a year do work at their DC's down there. You are from Maine? I would call or try to contact a Walmart DC nearest you. Or, better yet, just go to the nearest walmart and ask one of the drivers that are at the dock their, if you can see them. I wouldn't knock on the parked Truck however. Just cruise by and if you see a driver in the dock, in his truck yell over to him if he can get out and talk. You know, the old school way. You have to actually "talk" to someone. )

ralphbohm and dave01282000 Thank this.
  9. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    Ah ok that explains a lot though from what I see with some of the yard jockeys lol

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  10. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Views on Walmart vary by region. For more than a decade a, "No Walmart in Portland" sign has been placed in a window at City Hall - clearly visible from the sidewalk in front of the building. In the PNW, we root for the home team (Costco). After a few years Costco employees can make >$50,000/yr. Not managers, cashiers and other retail workers. Of course, their other practices vary greatly from the mandatory unpaid meetings and forced organ harvesting at Walmart.

While the store workers at Costco do very well for retail the average driver for Costco only makes $58,000/yr - about $20,000/yr. less than Walmart drivers.

11. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    $20,000 is low. $30-40k is a better avg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.