Warm Food!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    How do you handle refrigerated goods when you are not allowed to check the temperature?
    From now and then I will have them load warm food on my trailer. My trailer is precooled to -10. Mostly I pick up frozen food. But they will load warm food on my trailer. The reefer works nonstop. And the food at times is just below 20, not too bad. Today was above 40 degrees when delivered. I'm not worried I won't be paid. I work with people that I know pay me. But why should I stress for food to be accepted? I want clean BOLs.
    There should be some control over picked-up food that is warm. But we can't control what's loaded. We are supposed to hold food at a given temperature, NOT COOL IT DOWN.
    How do you handle frozen products? Once the warm food is off, my reefer goes down to -9 pretty quickly.
    There should be us charging them for WARM food.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Depends on what the food is warm from. If it's fresh kill chicken corpses still bleeding on your floor the rate con isn't set for you carrying 24deg chicken meat to a factory. It's a 24deg reefer that's cooling the corpses en route so it's not spoiled meat when it gets to the dog food plant. The copious blood now frozen in your floor is just a bonus...
    I usually trust the shipper to know how best to move their product because their business depends on happy customers. But you have to use your head. If you're concerned about the integrity of the load call your dispatcher or broker and see what they know...

feldsforever and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    It's all in the communication before the load is picked up. When I use to haul produce that was an issue at times because it wasn't cooled came straight from the field. I always made that call (produce is not cooled). There is liability & money involved before it was loaded unto the trailer this was cleared up. Certain shipper try to be slick by not being upfront. I'm not deaf or blind those tricks are for kids. If you don't want to be upfront about & I can't verify the temperature find someone else to haul it. Have a nice day & I move on. I don't even waste time with those type.

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    boy them flies around those 4 trashes cans tho

Qbf594 Thanks this.
  6. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Yeah go get the hot melons and load them next to the chilled raspberries and freeze the top of the whole load.
    Used to keep me up at night , you got to pulp every pallet not just the first 2 the shilocks had them chilling and figures the driver will only check them , reefer freight is a rough and tumble game you have to be sharp and on your A game.
    Old Tom used to tell me there's crooks in every bend of the river , your the Captain of the ship , buy a real pulp thermometer and put the temps on the bills , document everything.
    I used to haul frozen LTL out of LA back east ,.it was the same way , trailer wouldnt come out of high speed until Omaha.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What’s a clean BOL.

feldsforever and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  8. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    That's got to be the best part about reefer is surprising some washout bay with nasty funk. I'd like to toss a dead skunk in a reefer shut the doors then back in to a dock to see what the lumpers think about all that.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    In the "old days" cows were slaughtered, dressed, boxed and loaded onto trailers without getting cooled. Your reefer did the cooling, shippers would tell you put thermostat at such-and-such degrees for certain hours then such-and-such for different hours etc. Not sure but I believe today they can "fast cool" a load as they do with produce.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I do know some places wont load you unless you trailer is a certain temp. Sorry that's all I can add

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.