Was I wrong or.....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kwayne88, Mar 30, 2013.

1. kwayne88

kwayne88 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Leesville, La.
    Was driving in one of the western states the other day. Left from heavy traffic in a larger city to the open interstate. For several miles the highway goes up hill, but in a stair step kinda fashion.

I was pulling about 25k, so heavy enough but still lighter than some. I passed a truck pulling a hill and gained some distance. As my truck is governed at 65 and his obviously wasn't, he closed the distance on the short flat ground and as we began another up grade pulled out to pass. He obviously had a heaver load because as we climbed the hill he began to fall back and eventually pulled back in behind me. On the next hill he done the same thing, and again twice more.

When we finally topped out and started running on level ground he passed me and as he came by I could see he was giving me the first degree. My radio wasn't working so he couldn't contact me there.

Should I not have passed him, and just slowed down each time he climbed an upgrade? I was able to maintain 60 mph or so on each hill and he seemed to be going slower than 50 by the time he reached the top each time.

FatDaddy and Bumpy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Every situation is different (distances, speeds, etc.), but as my truck is governed at 62, if I sense this is going to be the scenario, I'll just lay back. What am I gonna gain, 15 seconds? Not worth it. It's a lot easier for me to give up a little acceleration than it is for him.

I'm under one of those "middle weight" loads right now, and rolling through PA tomorrow, so I'll likely encounter something at least similar.

tinytim and kwayne88 Thank this.
  4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That actually happened to me today on my way back home. Another driver and I were leapfrogging each other for about 20 miles. We flashed each other in each time we completed a pass. I will do it just cause I don't want to lose my momentum. Different folks take it differently..

5. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    When pulling a grade its not your responsibility to run 45 up the hill because his truck can only pull it at 50. You may want to allow him to get by you quickly when you reach level ground but if you overtake him on the next hill then go ahead and pass him again if the hill is a long enough climb and you can get plenty of distance on him before reaching the top

Hitman, Bayle, drvrtech77 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You were both wrong.

As the slower truck I'll usually hang back unless it's a big hill and he's really slow. If he kept catching up to you after each hill then if you let him get a little ahead you wouldn't have had to deal with him again.

I've been the heavier, faster truck in those situations too. I'm not big on playing leap frog so I just let the slower truck get far enough ahead so that I can then get up to speed for the next hill without having to catch him.

If either one of you would have given 30 seconds there would have been no problem.

Like someone said though, each situation is different. If you know the road it helps. For the most part though I would say the slower truck should be the one sacrifice a few seconds.

kwayne88 and Numb Thank this.
  7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That is exactly how I see it. As long as it can be done safe, I am all for it!

FatDaddy, OldHasBeen and kwayne88 Thank this.
  8. UnnamedSickness

UnnamedSickness Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2013
    If the circumstances were as you say, I don't see you having done anything wrong. The guy was probably just having a bad day. No reason he should expect you to be slowed by him (on hills), then get mad when he gets slowed by you (on flat land).

FatDaddy and kwayne88 Thank this.
  9. kwayne88

kwayne88 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Leesville, La.
    I've been on the opposite side of this situation a couple times, and always slowed to avoid trying to pass another truck I knew I couldn't get by because there was a hill and I was really heavy. I just waited until there was a long stretch of level ground and then pulled out, passed, and went on my merry way.

If he would have been able to pass me on each level area that wouldn't have been so bad, but he could only get his tractor about half way up the length of my trailer before he started falling back. There was quite a bit of four-wheel traffic and each time he tried to pass there was a long line of cars, p/u's and suv's behind him.

I had assumed he was just trying to keep his momentum up to be able to make each hill faster, but when he pulled even with me and was gesturing with his hands and appeared quite upset I figured I had upset him slightly by not following him.

FatDaddy and tinytim Thank this.
  10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Depending upon the length of the flats, I'd perhaps let a little distance build between he and I. Heck, I did that today when I got stuck behind one of our own trucks! I guess he wasn't using the cruise control, and I got sick of my cruise having to speed up, then slow...back and forth. I finally dropped back to 60 and let him get some distance on me. Just got sick of it.

I shoot for simplicity. I'm not out to save 12 seconds in my day.

GasHauler, LaBubba and FatDaddy Thank this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it. He was just showing his IQ.:biggrin_25513:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.