Washington dc

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ezrider_48501, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i plan to arrive by air plane. what is a zip car?

thankyou dipschitt for the links

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mcnabbtransport

mcnabbtransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Zip cars are rentable cars located throughout the area. You can rent them for just a few hours at a time instead of the whole day.
    http://www.zipcar.com/?redirect_p=0

Also depending on where you stay there may be shuttle service.

Ezrider_48501 Thanks this.
  4. mcnabbtransport

mcnabbtransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    BTW, Smithsonian air and space museum has an annex out near Dulles airport where they keep the big toys.

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I grew up in Wash DC,.. and you can get virtually anywhere via Metrobus or Subway.

When I take my wife we usually stay at the RedRoof Inn in Gaithersburg Md. Then park at the Subway station (Free parking), and take the train down to the museums. Its walking distance to all of the main museums, American History, Air and Space, Natural History and the Art Museum,.. plus you can just walk down the mall and check out the monuments and buildings. The museums are free, day pass for the subway is only a few dollars and you can get bus transfers if you need to them.

Reason I stay in Gaithersburg is because its a short hop over to Sugarloaf Mountain and then a quick hop to Harpers Ferry WVa. Or we may head down to Cabin John and hike the C&O canal. Many many places to go and see.

Right now at this time of year I dont recommend too much driving around DC. Traffic can be nightmarish in certain areas. I used to think it was bad 15 - 20 yrs ago,.. its gotten much much worse. I can remember getting on the beltway after midnite and you might see 2 or 3 other people. Now its a none stop 24/7 traffic disaster waiting to happen.

If your going to be in Arlington,.. I would get a hotel at Crystal City.

Also,.. I dont recommend booking hotels directly through websites like Hotels.com or Travelocity etc,.. yes I use them,.. but the motel/hotels give up a percentage to those websites. If you call them directly and say the rate you see on the website, you can usually negotiate a cheaper rate.

Hurst

6. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Fly into Reagan....stay in Crystal City....don't rent a car. The cost of parking in DC is ridiculous. You can take the subway everywhere....cabs are plentiful. Great city.

7. dgman

dgman Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't let everyone scare you. I lived in DC many years while stationed across the river at Bolling Air Force Base ( now Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling). If you go during that time there will be alot of folks visiting but you can still get around. It's not near as hard as some people say. Plus you can usually find parking spots for the museums down around the mall. You may have to driver around a time or two but one always opens up. Then you are right there to walk to all the museums. That's where I always parked when I had family come to town, and took them sight seeing. As far as tolls, they are only on the new lanes of the beltway. Highly doubt you'll need to use them.

Ezrider_48501 and mcnabbtransport Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.