WELL THIS SUCKS

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by tnevin225, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Sorry to hear about your stroke. Just a suggestion, but maybe you can take the year and dramatically get your health back. I’ve done about six different professions throughout my life and I found trucking by far and I mean by far to be the least healthy occupation of them all and probably that there is. You might not want to jump back on the truck, fall back into bad habits and then have a serious stroke.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sorry to hear that.

What about DOT test officer for the state?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    1 door closes ...
    1 million doors open up

jcrack08, Tug Toy and nikmirbre Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My Father got a job teaching at a Trucking school, after he had to stop Driving. Most Trades, a person can become a Supervisor or Forman based on their knowledge. Even count on a pay increase. Truckings a little different,Dispatch, Safety Man, doesn’t always pay as well as Driving. I wish you the best. Maybe you can hang onto the Truck, maybe find a Driver. A friend of mine did that. While taking care of his wife. Ended up buying another Truck, drove till he was 84. He had open heart surgery at 27, first one ever performed at U of M. Also was diabetic. He was tough, and hard headed!!!

Speed_Drums, Tug Toy and TallJoe Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Maybe the mini stroke was a fair warning from Heaven. We're not supposed to last past 60 - the statistics say. I guess, the cardiovascular issues are the leading reason. I'd take the time to try and adapt a change in diet and improve physical body fitness with adequete proportions to age and current health conditions. 1 year can do a lot if a person stays motivated.
    I know that the hard part now is to find a job with good enough earnings. For someone who did not do anything else for 10-20 years this is quite a challenge. Good luck.

Opendeckin and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    You might qualify for social security disability. It's worth looking into, and might pay you enough to survive the year. You can go on Medicaid for medical coverage and it's free. Good luck, getting old sucks.

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Please quote the CFR number regarding this.

Not a mini stroke, we have a younger driver who experienced a stroke on the job. 6 months after you would have thought he would never drive again.

Post rehab he returned in remarkably good condition and was sent to our doctor with the reason for the physical noted on the clinic forms...we have him driving a switcher - 'on site' and not on the highway.

He passed with flying colors, no reservations from a doctor who 'pre'-TRUMP was failing almost everyone for sleep apena.....go figure, I was expecting the opposite!

All I could find was the results of a 2008 medical study that indicated TSA was a potential problem but nothing was done as far as I could find.

9. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    you can't draw insurance money and ssi for a year? i been off two years now and they have to pay you. check into that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.