Werner - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Werner' started by LongHaulHighway, Sep 2, 2013.

1. LongHaulHighway

LongHaulHighway Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2013
    This report is only to provide a first impression glance at Werner. I cannot speak to driving for Werner for several years as I have only been here two weeks.

Good

I have yet to speak with anyone who has an attitude problem (except my recruiter). In the two weeks I've been here, every corporate employee I've spoken to in person, every guard, every mechanic and anyone answering the phone, has been pleasant. I've yet to meet any drivers sitting around with a chip on their shoulder or crying about how horrible Werner is. I'm not saying everyone at Werner is happy, but the overall energy is positive.

Bad

I have to come right out and say that I am truly astounded every day that Werner has grown to be such a large company. Looking at the nuances of the company, although Werner was the first company to implement electronic logs, from numerous angles, Werner's systems are archaic, redundant, lack efficiency and logic. From trip envelope design, macros, yard layout or other features, Werner gives me the impression that "organization" and "efficiency" are not in their vocabulary. The following list may seem nit-picky, but sometimes it is the small day-to-day ingredients that can get under a driver's skin. Let's remember that wasted minutes translate into wasted hours. Werner's appalling lack of efficiency unfortunately ends up meaning needless minutes spent by drivers that could be used driving or enjoying every minute of off-duty/sleeper time.

Trip Envelopes - Werner's trip envelopes are small and poorly designed. They require a rather obnoxious amount of information that shouldn't be necessary. On the plus side, you often don't need to submit a trip because the majority of OTR trips are swaps or drops and Werner doesn't require the driver who didn't deliver the load to submit a trip envelope.

Scanning Trips - At Werner, you can't scan trips at truckstops. What? Yes, you have to mail them in the old fashion way, scan them at a terminal (if you get to one) or you can scan them with the TripPak mobile app (if you have a compatible phone) or purchase a scanner for your truck. Werner claims trips can't be scanned at truckstops because they lack the data transfer quality they require. This is complete nonsense.

Macros - Werner has so many macros that the joke is that you need to make sure you send a macro if you have to use the restroom. Not only is the number of macros time-consuming and inane, but you'll often find yourself entering the same information over and over throughout a variety of macros. The macros also aren't written very well. A typical conversation between a new guy and dispatch might be, "Why didn't you enter the trailer information?" "Because the macro asked for what trailer I picked up or dropped. I didn't pick up a trailer and I didn't drop one. The trailer was already in my possession."

Poor Trip Planning - Werner's planners and dispatch give me the impression that they used to work for a company that didn't have governed trucks. At Werner, the trucks are governed at 62 MPH. Then why do the scheduled pickup and delivery times run so tight?

Tandem Position
    - It amazes me that Werner doesn't have stickers indicating the legal tandem positions on each trailer. This is a no-brainer that helps drivers avoid tickets and would literally cost peanuts. Just visit any vehicle decal printer to get a sense of how much it would cost to help their drivers avoid getting these tickets.

Off-Duty Driving - My biggest pet peeve is that you have to get permission to off-duty drive. Once you're empty, you should automatically be able to select off-duty driving and have a reasonable amount of off-duty driving time allotted to your truck. Not at Werner. You'll have to wait a minimum of 20 minutes after you've sent your empty macro to get permission from dispatch to off-duty drive. Furthermore, Werner requires you to return to the location that you began your off-duty driving. Therefore, if you drive 10 minutes from the receiver to a truckstop, you'll have to drive back to the receiver in the morning before you can start your day. This is not a federal regulation.

The law reads that you cannot make progress toward a target in off-duty driving status that you are getting paid to drive to, and that you can make progress so long as the record shows that you had no idea that you were making progress (i.e., you can show evidence that the trip information wasn't sent to your truck, etc.). This means that Werner is demanding a minimum of 30 minutes of your personal time (20 minutes to sit around and wait for permission off-duty drive and 10 minutes driving back to the location you started from). If you encounter this scenario once a week, that's 2 hours a month that Werner is needlessly stealing from their driver's off-duty/sleeper time. But remember: Werner Cares

For the record, I just found out the hard way, that Logs will not edit your on-duty driving time to off-duty driving even if your Qualcomm was frozen. That's right: My Qualcomm was frozen for my entire shift. I couldn't enter my pretrip or do anything else, but it tracked my driving. I called logs after I was empty and drove a measly 5 minutes, thinking that it would be an easy fix (as it would be with a previous company), and Logs informed me that I should have submitted a macro to request off-duty driving. I argued both that 1) my Qualcomm was frozen and 2) that pushing myself to the limits to get their freight to the drop, I shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes or more of my personal free-time for permission to off-duty drive.

Verdict

This has only been the tip of the iceberg of my observations in the brief time with Werner. Despite these details I sense that Werner is a good company to drive for, but it doesn't meet my needs in other areas. I do not have a company driver temperament, and to my knowledge, to succeed in their purchase program I'll need to train. I've already spent most of my time at a previous company training and I have zero interest in revisiting that nightmare. Werner also doesn't allow their independent contractors to pick loads from a load board, which seems to be a key factor in success as an owner/operator. All this being said, I wish Werner drivers safety and success.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    If these observations are only "the tip of iceberg", I can't wait to read what you think in another couple of mos.

4. flyboynme

flyboynme Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Florida
    Right on, LongHaul. I've been riding with my husband for the past 7 weeks, he's a new driver with Werner too. Been with them since April 1st of this year. Because of exactly what you describe, we don't ask with a macro anymore, we just go where we need to go. Just leave the shipper/receiver and drive to the nearest safe place for the night, then tell them where we are after we get there. On home time right now for 2 days after 3 weeks out, OTR. I've documented the past 7 weeks of our life with this company and to go back and read it makes me want to cry. If that QC says Werner Cares one more time, I think I'll puke. I think I should write an E-book.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I had to laugh,good about werner ,one little paragraph then theres the bad,a book,lol.Werner is a starter company,they're not meant for ppl to stay.You get the one yr and get out.Werner hasn't changed since I drove for them.Longhaul,highly unlikely it'll get better.Chances are itll get much worse.

6. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Longhaulhighway u look like T3CHNIN3

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  8. marnav1

marnav1 Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2012
    All I did was split runs (net-ops) and I always had to turn in trip envelopes .

9. DriveItUSA

DriveItUSA Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    the key to avoiding driver's with chips on their shoulders, is to avoid shop talk, gossip and lounge areas. you dont want that negativity in your life, so why subject yourself to it? Besides, whatever is happening to another driver, is not necessarily true! There's 3 sides to every store. their side, company side and in the middle is the truth.

Do YOUR job, worry about YOUR truck and being the best you can, and to hell with the other drivers and what's happening to them. They aren't paying your bills. They aren't driving YOUR truck for you.

if they were inefficient, they wouldn't be debt free, and own all their trucks and wouldnt have 7000 drivers driving for them. There's ALWAYS better ways to do things, and that's not just in this industry, that's in ANY JOB OR INDUSTRY.

just use the TripPak mobile app. or go fax them. if you don't have a smart phone I recommend you get one, it makes your life a heck of a lot easier. forget all that mailing it out, fill out your envelope with the required info, your other paperwork to go with it, scan it, send it, done. you don't have to worry about it.

they give you a laminated sheet with all the codes. it will take a little time to learn, but study that sheet and you'll have it down in no time. and you don't report that you're going to the bathroom. you just go off duty, go to the bathroom, go back on duty. very simple.

enter the same trailer number then.

no. they are governed at 65 mph. proper time management and map planning can help you avoid being late.

take a marker and mark it. depend on YOURSELF. no one else is going to do it for you.

it's THEIR truck. not your personal vehicle. you want to do what you want to do or go where you want to go, then become an O/O. You're driving $1,000,000.00 worth of tractor, trailer and cargo. Of course they're gonna tell you what you can and can't do with that truck.

I haven't heard of the policy you speak of that requires you to return to where you dropped your trailer or unloaded at. I have never experienced this at all.

on top of waiting 20 minutes, they may be searching for a load nearby for you. or they may have one for you. sometimes it's best to sit tight and wait. other times they may have already sent you another load. hit your sleeper berth, watch a movie, or if there's a TA nearby, drive to it and sit. And it's always reasonable if there's accomondations nearby, such as Wal-Mart, or food, that you can drive there.

if you have a smart phone with a mobile app called Werner Smart Mobile, you can register and that way if you go for a walk, into a diner to eat, you will get notified on your phone when a new load is assigned to you.

at least you recognize this, and you have made the decision best for you. Wish you the best of luck.

10. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    Well as an oo longhaulhighway is just about spot on and yes you do have to return where you started and even as an oo I too have problems with how personal drive time is done. So being an oo won't change that.

2nd if you have problems with logs, square your truck up, check out trailer make sure everything is in proper order and goto a scale house that is open explain the problem there trust me if you in the right it will get fixed quick. (I don't fight with logs I let dot do the fight for me)

really wanting to hear more of what you say as not only is it interesting but informative

ps driveitusa you sound like a recruiter lmao...really not even 75 hours behind the wheel and you really know how it works.......who you trying to fool?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.