What are the disadvantages of being an OTR LTL driver?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Dec 25, 2020.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    When I made the OP, I thought OTR and linehaul are the same thing.

In the OP, I was asking about the typical LTL linehaul work that most of you in this part of the forums are accustomed to.

McUzi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Oh Christ on a stick.

You just like to ask dumb questions till the cows come home.

Are you done?

I’m done.

4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I have very little patience when someone is asking a question and then gets an attitude instead of asking me to clarify or telling me that isn’t what they meant. Did I get an attitude yes I did, would I do it again yes I would but I probably wouldn’t attempt to help someone who had multiple posts all over the Spectrum in a short period of time. Like it or not I will help anyone until they show me their ### then I likely will show them mine.

5. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

I have never worked as an LTL linehaul driver. So what might seem very obvious to you is not so obvious to me.

I'm not here for drama.

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    While I totally agree with you I am trying to let my sensitive more compassionate side come out on this comment. Other folks, but not the OP, (because that would be harsh on my part) who post BS like this are usually Trolls. But I don’t mean this fine fellow because he is A O K in my book.
    *** Tongue and Cheek*** take my comments with a grain of salt because I am slightly joking!

7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Ok so to answer the original question, in my opinion there are no real disadvantages. I love what I do. Some people will point out that it's mostly driving overnight and taking the same routes to the same places, but those are advantages to me. I like driving with minimal traffic and going to familiar places.

8. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Thank you, jmz. Your post is one of maybe three posts on this 57 post thread which answers the question of the OP.

9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If you're not here for drama, then don't respond with "Well, if you completely understand my question, why don't you answer it?"

Instead ask "Based on your response, I don't think I'm using the terms correctly. When I am talking about OTR LTL I am referring to the guys who ________ (fill in the blank with whatever you were thinking about)?"

The reason why "maybe three posts on this 57 post thread" answered the OP's question, is that the OP question was poorly worded. You thanked my post where I discussed how you and Banker were talking around each other, but didn't take the post to heart. Banker did answer your question, as asked. However the question Banker answered wasn't the question you intended to ask.

Instead of getting snarky about responses that don't immediately satiate your query, break down their answer and try to understand what they said. Then ask followup questions that ask for clarity - particularity on nouns/word use you are unfamiliar with.

Saying "I don't understand" isn't a sign of weakness or ignorance. Saying "what might seem very obvious to you is not so obvious to me" is a sign of a Goldilocks attitude - you want what you want but only if it's just right.

10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    13 Speed Road Ranger and Banker Thank this.
  11. Northeast Hillbilly

Northeast Hillbilly Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2020
    We're you posting under another screen name previously? I love tequila?

jmz, McUzi and LPjunior1970 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.