What Boots do you use while running flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by flying_gage, Jan 20, 2019.

1. flying_gage

flying_gage Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I have looked through the previous threads and have further refined a boot/shoe question which I think is specific to flatbeds.

Last week working late into the day on a wet aluminum deck, I lost footing in my redwings and went to my knees. Things could have been worse but I don’t wish to live out that scenario, hence the question.

Specifically are the boots that our military are wearing the way to go? Those that have pliable soles and are grippy? I am looking at Rocky S2V, Belleville and Danners to name a few. To my thinking these boots appeared to be designed with rock climbing and scaling in mind which I believe would lend itself naturally to flatbed work.

Thoughts appreciated and thank you in advance!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Buy a pair of Timberlands.I don't like steel toes but it might be wise to protect your toes.Timberlands are nice and light,but very sturdy with a good grip.I got mine at Model's for 100$,size13E,and they fit like a glove.Look good,too.. I wish they made them when I was skateboarding.I used to wear pointy toed cowboy boots,they were great for climbing,but not much for traction.Fell on my butt more than twice,but I sure looked cool when I did.lol.

mitmaks, starmac, blade and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I buy $40 dollar boots from Target. I can’t even walk inside the truck stops, the oil and diesel from the fuel island make it feel like I’m walking on ice. Do better quality boots get better traction? This is seriously annoying.

Sorry don’t mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully you can take something from any replies I get.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You really get what you pay for when it comes to boots.

Are your feet, legs and back only worth $40?

starmac, Lysdexis, MACK E-6 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    No, those parts are worth way more than that. Plus the cheap ones don’t breathe to well. Sweaty feet don’t fare well when you exit the truck in 0 degree weather.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  7. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Yes

I have 2 pair. One cost $0, but would have only cost me $25 if I had to pay for them. The other $125. Guess which ones I’m not wearing.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    The only boots I wear are made by Ariat. I have 3 pairs. One pair for dress, one pair for dry work days and the other for wet work days. Ariat has several styles of work boots and play boots. Composite or steel or regular toes. Low, mid and high leather. All of my Ariat boots are oil and slip resistant and I have never experienced a slip and fall because of my Ariat's. I replace the insoles twice per year with the same ones from the factory. My Ariat's have never let me down. They do not disappoint.

Lysdexis, Lepton1 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  9. Very Metal

Very Metal Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Dirty South,Tn
    AUSSIE boots , Redback brand. I've been wearing them for 17 years exclusively work and leisure. They started out only distributed by Matco Tool dealers but are now available online through many outlets. I used to be can Automotive Tech and have flat feet and standing all day was brutal. Until, I discovered these. For the money, they hold up well. I buy multiples, steel toes for heavy duty work, non steel for all around use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2019
    akaDug Thanks this.
  10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Also an Ariat fan. The soles are amazing and I climb all over my loads with confidence. A plus is I can slide them off to go in the sleeper and it helps keep the truck clean. I even walk the dog in these boots they are so comfy. I have a waterproof pair and even a pair with mesh for south Texas summers.

11. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I agree %. I have a waterproof pair for my wet days and it's always nice to slip them off and get in the bunk without getting the floors dirty. I'm super picky about my truck so the cleaner I can keep the interior the better. Ariat boots and shoes are the only way to go for me. I recommend any driver due their due diligence and find what fits you best but at least try on a pair to see how they fit your feet. They just may be what's missing from your life.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.