What "exit" should I take

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jeff614, Mar 2, 2019.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Exit 3 is the way I went. No pressures from a company.
    With all that work history and your age, sounds like you shouldnt go to a mega carrier. See whom is local. If you dont mind some work, go with a bottling company. They take care of their drivers according to a elementary school friend of mine whom drives for Budweiser.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Got a storage unit for important papers, inportant golf clubs, and important fishing gear. No apartment that I rarely see and no car that I rarely drive.

When I want to go visit my stuff and my son, I go to an extended stay motel for 60 per ninght in off season and 100 during touris season. Enterprise picks me up at the truck stop and sets me up for about 22 bucks a day. I go home every six to eight weeks. Put a lot of money in 401k, insurance for my son, eat out a couple nights a week, and bank 1500 per month. Less than 2 years, $30k in the bank.

Learning to trade stocks, doing well enough to to grow the bank roll. I'll be retired in 2 years.

You are young enough that you can buy a car in 4 years and a decent Down payment on a house....or a truck...or whatever.

Exit 3 or 4 should get you this.

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I had to think about this one...
    I m p o r t a n t g o l f c l u b s :laughing-guffaw:

5. RoadRooster

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Sometimes they are impotent!!!

6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Have you bothered to tell the hotel you drive a tractor trailer? At most they ask to see a qualcomm card or a uniform. I have been able to get a room in the past up to 50% off

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You regulars notice that the word "mega" has popped up in a bunch of threads with newbies asking really fundamental questions ... wonder about this ... it sounds like they are experienced drivers ...

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  8. RoadRooster

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    The best I can do is about 20 percent off their rack rate.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  9. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    No mountains or water. I am disapoint.

10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I tried to get Mount Hood but the cloud cover was too low.. And I had to get to bed. Lol. Best views are when i am driving and can't get a picture. :(

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    To this I would add:

1. Sell or get rid of everything that doesn't fit in a truck. Consider selling your car as well.

2. You only need $200-300 a week to live well on the road. Bank the rest of it. If you aren't paying rent, mortgage, car payments, or insurance, then the majority of every paycheck is bankable.

3. Pay off your debts. See point 2.

4. Invest your savings. Stop working for your money and start having your money work for you.

5. As you see this big, beautiful country, start thinking about what place really turns your crank. Consider buying real estate in a place that inspires you.

I know a few people that did this. Couples and individuals. They retired debt and saved and invested. They each found a place to call home and they each paid cash at closing. No mortgage.

How many folks do you know that actually OWN their home?

lovesthedrive, RoadRooster and TravR1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.