What I learned two days ago

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 77fib77, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I bought a new air filter for my freightliner. I talked to the truck salesman and 94% of trucks on the assembly line are being made with auto transmissions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Yep, it's getting so a full manual is an option that you have to pay extra for, like it is when you buy a 4-wheeler. My company only uses mDrives, which are the red-headed step child of the AMT world, they blow (figuratively speaking).

Dave_in_AZ and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't see what the big deal is about shifting grears. It's a good skill to have today because lots of truck still have manual transmission. Soon all trucks will have auto shift. How many drivers today can drive a two stick transmission. Not many and it's old skill not need anymore.

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    94% of the drivers being shoved through these Mega Company Driver Mills are nothing but steering wheel holders, the days of actual truck drivers are becoming less and less.

The automatic trans just fills the seat with a warm body quicker.

Tb0n3, kenn2632, RockinChair and 13 others Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I read, Ram ( they don't even call it Dodge anymore) for 2019, discontinued the manual transmission, being the last to offer one in 2018..

Dave_in_AZ, Grubby, bigguns and 3 others Thank this.
  7. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    It's funny watching people that spend 99% of their time on pavement raging on automatic transmissions.

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    well they have auto braking and developing self driving vehicles so it is just evolution.

Rideandrepair and 77fib77 Thank this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Who drives a truck without power steering ??? Back in the day real drivers did not need power steering. You had some muscle in your arms. It's called technology, and something that was not possible 20 years ago. It doesn't make you less of a man or truck driver to use technology.

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It has nothing to being less of a man, it has a lot to do with control. I prefer a manual because I get to choose what gear. More times than not, in traffic, the auto up shifts, up shifts, up shifts...down, down, up, down. You can put it in manual mode, but it's a PITA if speed is up and down.

When getting up to speed normally, step on the throttle a little more to build speed, and it up shifts and struggles to accelerate rather than building power in the current gear then shifting.

Tb0n3, Dave_in_AZ, QuietStorm and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The new auto shifts don't shift up and down all day in traffic. I'm driving the Detroit transmission and it's very good. It only keeps grabbing gears if you keep pushing the pedal to the floor wanting to go faster in traffic. It doesn't just shift randomly for no reason.

When your in the lower gears it can apply the engine brake between gears. So it shifts very quickly and so when it goes in gear it can pull in that gear and not shift again because the grear might be to low now. They can sense the load and with GPS info they change the shift point on big hills.

It can downshift at high engine RPMs and give you amazing engine braking power. I can go down hills without even touching the brakes when in the past I would need the brakes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.