What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Dont need any of that.
    Just got two new steers two weeks ago, drives are 2.5 years old, can probably get another 1.5 out of them..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    It's not hard to get a load out of the DFW area. Profitable ones are kinda scarce though. I would make sure there was enough money on a load going to DFW to also cover the deadhead down to Houston.

I found it best to keep the load alerts (telephone notification of new available loads that meet a criteria) active for the entire time I had a trip into DFW booked ( and I am 3 to 4 days away). Radius for those alerts would include Houston.

Something profitable would pop up with a chunk of dead head or would get a live call about an unposted load along the lines of "You are about the only truck coming in that can do this, and I do not want my phones flooded with people that can't do it..... How do you feel about chemicals going to Cali?" and the negotiations began.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I picked up my Truck yesterday, fresh inframe, bob tailed home 30 miles. 15 degrees outside. After the anxiety of the initial start up, I think I’ll wait till Friday to start it again, when it’s 40 degrees outside. Might even take my generator and plug it in for a few hrs.first. I’m not taking any chances. Need to dosed it up with some good additive and Fresh Fuel, for good measure.Still have to install new high flow mufflers. It’s running great!!! Good smooth power, still need to set injector calibrations. Can’t wait to get a good heavy load on it. Be safe Everyone, leave a little freight out there for Me.

5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I would have idled it for 24 hours and get the rings to set in. Giive it a fresh oil change and remove the zinc break in oil.

WesternPlains and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    ADDFD44A-9383-4AC2-BD38-D6A09B228846.jpeg 2B6145B6-DA43-4DC6-A149-A808EE9ACC9F.png She cleans up well!! New front covers,correct new alt/ac bracket, bull gear, 4 row brass radiator, new HD cac, 702 turbo, head, injectors, and harness, No Leaks, No blowby!!! Still need to install new speedometer and pyrometer guage. I think I could make it through the desert now, without getting stranded. Let it snow!! Lol

D.Tibbitt, Dave_in_AZ, Rocks and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I had a good load out that was booked last thursday, but it got changed to loading 3 days later.
    It worked out same lady called earlier with another load for me loading tomorrow night.

Ive had them bragging on a Cali load, even aftef I tell them no price will get me back into that state.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Got you one saved.
    .85/mile frim DFW to Boston.
    Only 10 stops along the way.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t want it to idle, I want it broke in with a heavy load.It idled for about 2 hrs. Just topping A/F, off real good. Drove it an hr. That’s plenty. No zinc oil, just regular Delvac. I’ll change it at 5 k. Might change filers after 1000 or so. But it’s really not needed. A winterfront would have been nice, at 15 degrees. It wasn’t slobbering any oil at all, unlike my last OH, but we’ll see. I’m going to try to keep idle time down, this time around.Its a good build. Much better than what I got from the Dealer, on my last Truck. Amazingly, the old bull gear was still tight, at 2.3 mil miles.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Troy_, Dave_in_AZ, dosgatos and 2 others Thank this.
  10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They got msnbc on in this restaurant. Idiots talking during break in the three ring circus. Can’t believe how they try to appear intelligent. Geesh! Dave’s OM is more intelligent than they are! :biggrin_25523:

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    they got fox news on here at terminal.
    One guy watching, rest of us talking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.