What is LTL?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    i was only busting your chops lol. But I do here you. As much as I like doing Line-haul and the open road I plan on leaving when I can. Im tyring to get into a paid FD. My other options is like a town DPW job or back into a skilled trade job like I was doing. Im thinking of going back to school to at least get my associates but right now would be too hard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Great Write up, Recently Applied for one of those ABC companies and going through the Pre employment process.
    First time applying with a LTL.

Great Information guys, Thanks.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    :naka:OK, might as well ad something here.....the types of freight you pick and deliver doing LTL. It's not all palletized. It can be cases, maybe 8-10 loose cases. Or 55 gal drums of cooking oil. Or 50Lb bags of flour, usually stacked on a pallet, but the receiver doesn't have a dock or forklift. Your deliver could be an "inside delivery", which means an office (could be the tenth floor of an office bldg.) and it will be cases of computer paper, guaranteed. How about picking before you finish delivering. F-U-N. Now you get to jockey everything around as you go. But not to worry since you're hourly and will be home tonight, right ?

Marksteven Thanks this.
  5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    thanks for reminding me of why I do not miss doing P/D

Marksteven Thanks this.
  6. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    This should be a sticky so folks curious about the whole LTL thing can find it fast.

road_runner Thanks this.
  7. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

Sounds like my average day.

8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Good chunk of our inbound/outbound freight is palletized. Some more of it is NOT. Most LTL companies will deal with odd shaped pieces of freight. We support alot of agricultural areas... with that said, along comes a barrage of items that is a major pain to deal with.

Irrigation companies: Massive bundles of metal pipes, 30 feet long
    Sprinkler/Landscaping: Long bundles of PVC pipes
    HVAC Companies: Very large AC units that require forklift tine extensions to move

Then just random stuff... excavator buckets (large and super heavy), fencing supplies, large landscape boulders, massive coils of plastic tubing, large rolls of carpets (prolly going to home depot).

The list goes on and on. We have a good selection of forklift accessories and extensions to help us move these items. Some of it you can move by yourself, for other things you need more than one person. I drive line. I am a happy line driver. I deal with the bulk trailers and not the freight. I still get to be home everyday.

9. IceCreator

IceCreator Medium Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    What happens when you have a pallet thats way to heavy being delivered to a commercial address that lacks a forklift or dock and the truck doesnt have a lift gate? I ordered about 600 lbs of suspension parts and all they said was they needed a commercial address. We have a dock which they unloaded on, but what if we wouldnt of had the dock or our forklift?

10. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

My bid run requires a Liftgate trailer every day. If ididnt have one and the customer didnt have a commercial address, then the parts would come off piece by piece. If that doesnt work, customers are welcome to show up at our terminal with their own trailer to pickup their freight.

11. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Now the other side of LTL. Have two premade fireplaces I need to ship. You have room on your trailer. Your going to X from X. Pay you X to take them. Stolen? most likely, will I risk my job, No. Company keeps you safe. $600.00 sounds good but the cost is not worth it. Have I done it? Yep. I was young & starving. The guy in the alley is not your friend. He saw the shipping labels when you were loading. That's how he knows where your going. Think about it. They wait, they watch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.