What is LTL?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jul 22, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    600 lbs is not really that heavy. I moved pallets of soda or bread that were taller than me (I am 6'3) and weighed well over 1,200 lbs. Pallet jack will work awesome as long as your trailer is parked on level ground and you are not fighting gravity.

Liftgate will also easily support the weight. The bigger question is, how do they get these massive pieces of pipe or bundles of pipes off of the trailer when a dock is not an option.

One more reason why I did not sign on as P&D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Drag it out with a tractor or bulldozer, thats what ive done haha

road_runner Thanks this.
  4. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,

Man I miss those days operating the heavy equipment for my dad, yea I always was stick unloading the trucks that came in...

5. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I was thinking more along the lines of tying one end to a tree, and the other to the pipes and pull the truck/trailer forward. Then tell the customer their freight is outside... I tied it to the tree so it would go anywhere.

6. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    The pallet wouldn't get delivered. Customers need to disclose this information so the delivery company knows what kind of vehicle/trailer to send.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Majority of customers are good about it. If they have an awkward piece that they order, it usually is not the first time they ordered it and their crew is well equipped to deal with it. Most of our clients are long time members and we have a good understanding what their needs/demands are. Occasionally we will get a random order for a residential delivery... that is when it gets interesting.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  8. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Vive la France, vive de Gaulle. Better do your research on the Legion. Those guys do not play around. Also they will take your American passport and you will have to renounce your citizenship. It used to be a minimum of 10 year commitment and there is no leaving before that or you have a good chance they will come after you. When I lived in Germany it was the thing to do at times and I know of guys that did not fulfill their commitment and escaped, but will never go back to France and feared for their life after going AWOL.

9. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Hopefully I can leave LTL after I graduate next year and go to law school or be a pilot since the air force needs pilots..Cant see my self doing this LTL thing for years on end.

10. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I agree. I'm hoping to get back into heavy equipment operations, other skilled construction or even the electric companies. My main goal would be a paid fire fighter. But jobs are tough so right now this works.

11. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    CenturyClass, You got me wanting to go back to school too. My knee is a mess and my back isn't getting any better. Not to mention I've watched the trucking industry go down the toilet since I started in 1997. I registered for some classes the other day at the community college.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.