What is your operating cost per mile (poll)?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kay_ray, May 11, 2022.

What is your cost per mile

1. Under 1$

2. 1-1.50

3. 1.50-1.80

4. 1.80-2

5. Over 2$

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The spot market is a garbage bin.
    Those who want to thrive on it are raccoons, some fatter, some slimmer,some mire or less predatory. Raccoons nonetheless.
    If you don't want to be a raccoon, go to a palace, become a Great Dane, thrive when the Kings supper is served. .

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    The way he or any other new o/o are going they will be out in next 6 months .but he will prob go out and make a #### splash that will take me and other o/o that survive 6 months to a year to get the rates back up on that lane. Why not learn about lanes operating cost and other stuff before becoming an o/o rather than buying a 100k equipment and start taking the loads for what they are posted for. I have two family friends that went into trucking this march as a team. Bought 120k truck with 300k miles on it . . They were slashing rates or taking loads for lower than lane prices . First breakdown last week and they were belly up . So there fun ride lasted 2 months .

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  4. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Last year and so far I’ve ran an avg of 3.8 with cost being a rough 1.3, so far so good imo

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Maybe it needs to be said if this includes paying yourself. That’s an age old discrepancy when talking about this topic.

Looks like the $1 to $1.50 is the biggest crowd. So, if your spending 85 cents per mile on fuel, and you pay yourself 65 cents per mile. Then your already at 1.50 per mile and that’s whether you run many or few miles. Doesn’t take into account the tons of other things not to mention payroll tax on yourself.

6. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    This is all easy when you’re making 1 million dollars a mile like me, nbd

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    The problem with learning lane rates is not many people want to share that information. Everyone is concerned about being undercut. Happens all the time. So most new guys try to come in as low as they possibly can to get the business. The guys that are already running it are too paranoid to share their information. It's a loss for both parties IMO.

8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Your right they should of learned the ropes before they jumped in but they didn't because they just heard the stories about the fortune you could make being a O/O from other idiots that didn't know what they were doing either but yet by faith they were making money
    The sad part is your right their gonna take down good O/O s too before they fall over because stupidity is their only friend and it will stick with them right to the bitter end
    Because they will cut cheap rates down to garbage rates just trying to thread water while their sinking
    Stupidity knows no boundaries

9. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I hope you know CPR.. because snorkels aren't gona save them .. their lungs are filling up with debt and their choking in their own. Stupidity

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I’m going to title this,

**So, you want to be a Carrier.**

And you can bookmark it or whatever fior general knowledge for anyone wanting to start a company, now making you a carrier, not owner operator, though its a thin line.

Just figure 5 mpg, $5/gallon theres $1/mile off top, yes some get better, but we’re hypothetically speaking. You can drop some for mpg.

Now.
    Insurance $1400/month (truck & trailer mine is $1385 and change but i round up.)
    So 1400/4 weeks $350.
    Tags $33.334 52 weeks $1600/year
    2290 $550per truck $10.58 so say $11/ week whats .40 amongst friends?
    Ucr $60.62(0-2 trucks year)$1.17/week say $1.00
    Drivewyze/prepass $17.99/month$4,50/week just keep it here, no need rounding.
    Elog. $550/year or $10.58/week say .60, whats 2 cents.
    $405.93week.total
    Not counting yearly tests for drugtest/clearinghouse.

Now the good stuff.
    Truck payment.
    One of mine is $1119.07/month
    $279.77/week, say $280
    Trailer payment $717.76/month or $179.44 yay a round down, say $179.
    Total here -$459/week if you work or not.

So.
    We’re up to $864.93/week divide that by 5(M-F) for $172.99
    per day if you work or not,
    Trucks in shop, you lose 3x
    $172.99/day plus repair, plus revenue lost.

But at least that is what it’s gonna cost if you work or sit at home watching cartoons.
    If you lose it, you can’t ever get it back.

“Judge!!! What you mean I can’t get it back, tomorrow I’ll work hard and make double that and I’ll have it back.”

No, that money was left on the table.
    If you’d have gotten it, you’d have that double money you made plus tge one you lost for triple.
    Once it’s gone, its gone forever.

Now minus your fuel cost per however many miles per week.
    (Purposely left out Fed/state/payroll tax/ unemployment tax) etc

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  11. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Knowing your cost per mile is important and yes like @SoCalRed mentioned, is dynamic. You shouldn’t get too wrapped up comparing your cost per mile to others here on ttr. Too many variables. Some don’t include all. Some run junk equipment and poor service. Some go all out and go overboard. Others piggy back on a carrier for a trailer, insurance, maintenance, and about everything under the sun. While others take it all on and even have multiple trailers. What the focus needs to be, the difference between expenses and income needs to be as far apart as possible while providing 2nd to none service.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.