When at a Truck stop......

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ArmyMP, Feb 22, 2015.

1. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Maybe a nod..

Most of the time it's at the fuel pump, we'll talk for a few then keep it moving.
    Company only has 800+/- drivers so ya see a lot of the same people often.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allniter

allniter Medium Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I 10 FL exit 70
    I worked with a small family owned fleet so we all knew each other anyway. Very often 3-4 of us were loading/unloading at the same place. There have been a few bs sessions in the truckstop restaurant that we should have ended earlier so we didn't have to scramble to deliver on time :biggrin_2559:.
    When I worked at the megafleets it was the total opposite, in the beginning I'd at least nod to the other driver usually they ignored me, yes I was showered & clean :biggrin_25522:. I only went into the terminal drivers lounge once, it was like being in a room full of 4 yr olds, b & moaning about everything:biggrin_2553:. How about the driver that complains he's not geting any miles then he turns down a 300 mile load because its too short? I took many of those short loads and most led into a 1,000 mile + load next. I've even taken a 300 mile load one way then a 300 mile load back to the terminal & the same guys are there waiting for that perfect load :biggrin_25513:

4. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    When I was at my previous gig and there were a number of us at the same TS, invariably someone would come knock and ask if a certain run came across our QCs. Trying to see who got the best run first.

5. wanttotruck

wanttotruck Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2014
    DFW
    I run the other direction.

My company tends to employ... well... characters is a nice way of putting it

6. Stormdriven

Stormdriven Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    south, central, US.
    Avoid contact.

To many rats & weasels.

Bigcountry8079 and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You gotta learn how to mess with these type people, I have them come up to me and start a conversation about how they aren't making any money and so on, I usually tell them, "You're not making any money?? Company pays $100/truck after 2 hours of sitting and we get $25/hour after the two hours." They usually come up with some excuse to leave, then I'll get a call from the company telling me to 'quit messin with those guys, they're gullible' but usually they're laughing when telling me to quit messing with them..
    Another good one is when they talk about driving in the hard rain and can't see I come back with, "Company makes you drive in the rain?? They told me if it rains park the truck, and if it rains for more than an hour get a motel room and turn in the receipt and they'll pay for it.."

8. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Yeap. I ask questions and chat then I see what he's getting for miles, how long he's been with the company ect ect.

9. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Personally, I really enjoy talking to drivers. Whether they drive for the same company or not, there are drivers out there who are the coolest people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TruckerGonnaBe and kona911 Thank this.
  10. AyoFiggy

AyoFiggy Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South East Regional
    No actually my company is great. but i have worked for crst and schneider b4 on various accounts and you always havebpeople complaining About them. Small talk is annoying who wants to talk about trucks all #### day and the weatherAnd where loads are going.

11. hors_19

hors_19 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Fennimore, WI
    I always did but I have worked only for small companies (50 drivers or less). One thing I've learned is they don't need to know where u have been or where your going. If you don't talk about miles and such there is no arguments later.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.