When is it going to end?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KeepONTruckin214, Sep 26, 2020.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Cameras are coming ... The ELD companies are pushing for it ... It's a another source of revenues, as they can sell the monitoring.

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    That is why I film all my encounters leading up to, through and the conclusion of every inspection.

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I guess I'm just weird. I have a camera in my truck, forward facing, and I'm actually glad it's there. Even if they had a driver facing camera I'd be fine with it. I don't do stuff, like play with my phone, while I'm driving that I'm not supposed to do.
    I work for a mega/starter company and been driving a truck just over a year. So, still pretty new. My company is set up to teach new drivers. As such, the camera system is a way to teach new drivers and weed out others who won't drive safely and won't change unsafe driving habits. Driving a truck is obviously different than a 4 wheeler and requires different driving habits to be safe. The camera system is set up to catch unsafe driving events and hopefully nudge newbies into safer habits. If a driver doesn't improve, they don't last.
    We switched to a newer system awhile back that is supposed to be better than the previous system. IDK. I know I'm doing fine. I have a 'goal' of 25 points or less. Most I've had at any one time is 2. Both for following distance between 3.5 and 4 seconds.
    We also have radar systems in the trucks that, amongst other things, fusses at you for following too close. Kind of glad it's there. Over time, it has helped me develop better following distance habits. It still goes off on occasion, but far less these days than when I started. Only fuss I have about is when you are going to pass someone, you have to pull into the left lane to pass when you are still quite some distance from the vehicle you are going to pass.
    Anyway, I know most are quite negative about all this stuff. But, as a newbie, these systems are helping to teach me to be a safer driver, and I think that is a good thing. So, I got no problems with them.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I was just thinking about you the other day. I thought you left this industry for good. Didn't work out?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Keep your A in the right lane where you belong.
    And your problem will be solved.

We can't pass in the left. Trucks aren't allowed.
    And impeding the flow of traffic is BS.

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I think what he meant by his post was that if you are being passed on the right, you are doing something wrong.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

Wait til you need to piss on a two lane road with no shoulder and no town for anither 20miles with just enough traffic that you cant stop real quick and relieve yourself. You might not like that camera then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.