When Qualcomm Navigation system fails, rebooting Qualcomm

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Lepton1, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This is information for drivers that may experience failure of the Qualcomm navigation system. It is disconcerting when you are in the thick of getting to a customer and all of a sudden QC's Nav goes bonkers or freezes up. I've had a few experiences with this, and the first time I called my DM and she gave me the phone number for the QC "guru" in Phoenix.

Here are two prime examples of QC Nav failure I've had, and I'm sure many of you have also had:

1. QC Nav simply freezes in place and the map doesn't move.

2. QC Nav suddenly "ports" you to a completely different location, sometimes with a spinning map.

Now it may be well and good to simply continue to your destination and disregard the QC nav, but this can lead to problems with your e-Logs. If you continue driving and your location stays the same for a period of time and especially if you have duty status changes between periods of driving and your location remains the same, then you may well get the dreaded warning that you have to start paper logs. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

First, you need to know where the Qualcomm "black box" is located. In the Cascadia it is under the bottom bunk on the passenger's side. When I drove a KW T660 it was in the driver's side tool box (which is a very difficult place to work on the black box and it get's very dirty).

Check to make sure that all cables are attached to the box properly. In one of my Type 2 (see above) incident's in the KW T660 the antenna cable had come completely off! Simply reattaching the antenna cable solved the problem, but it kept coming out.

If all cables are attached properly, then you will need to do a "cold reboot". I've found this is best in two steps. First, turn the electrical kill switch to the off position. This is the switch you turn off if you are going to park the truck for a period of time. In the Cascadia it is located on the floor on the left side of the driver's seat. Then disconnect the power cable from the QC black box, it is the cable at the top of the box as installed in the Cascadia and looks like the cable the goes into the back of a printer...

... wait for at least 60 seconds. Preferably a couple of minutes. It takes that long for the "cold boot" to take effect with the black box.

Now turn on the electrical kill switch and reattach the power cable to the black box. Turn on the truck or turn the key to the on position and the QC screen should begin a fresh reboot.

I had my most recent episode with a Type 2 event today, and fortunately caught it quickly enough to avoid having to do paper logs.

If anyone has further advise or comments let's share.

x1Heavy, DocWatson and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You can also call Qualcomm and follow the automated prompts and they will send a reboot right-hand to the unit. All you need is the unit address. Obviously you need to write this down before you have a problem

4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    or you call simply call the customer and get directions. like back in caveman days

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I had it happen once as well.
    I started my paper logs, and I still have it if it becomes necessary to scan it.
    After 2 months, no one has said anything.

It seems the QC caught up at some point.

I never use the QC GPS system. It seems too buggy and doesn't provide the necessary information.
    I use a RM 520.
    It's not without its problems as well, but it is much more reliable than the QC.
    And a reboot simply means pressing the power button for a few seconds to turn it off, then turning it back on.

6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    True, but then your e-logs may get flagged and you may need to go on paper logs.

7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Actually, that was the 3rd level of reboot the QC guru had me do on the first occasion. First was the traditional Cntrl-Alt-Del, which didn't work. Second was pressing the power button for a few seconds, with no effect. That's when he had me go to the complete cold boot by unplugging the power and turning off the electric kill switch. Today I had to go to the cold boot, and then plugged in and turned it back on after about 60 seconds, only to have the QC come back on the same screen as before (with the current nav position off by miles)... so I unplugged the power cord and turned off the kill switch and then smoked a cigarette. That worked like a charm...

... maybe it was the cigarette?

... perhaps sacrificing a chicken on the hood will do?

:D :D :D

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Maybe the chicken would do it. LOL

The only time my QC stopped recording my position (in 3 years) was when I was using the QC GPS.
    That is a very big red flag to me.
    If the QC GPS takes over SO much that the main unit looses contact with the system when it otherwise wouldn't have...
    Well, I don't ever activate it any more. I've not had any problems since, or otherwise.

If you want to use a GPS system, get a dedicated unit like the RM or Cobra.

9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The RM is on my wish list, but until then...

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  10. Criss_crssd

Criss_crssd Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had both these issues happen a bunch of times; frozen screen, blue screen, GPS wandering off course. For the blue screen and frozen screen, the alt-ctrl-delete used to be the way to reboot it. They upgraded the system roughly 1 year ago. To reset the unit now, you press the talk button on the top right ( face icon ) for 8-10 secs, then press the Enter button, which is the center of the directional buttons, for 8-10 secs. Usually you will hear a beep when you release it, or sometimes takes a minute.
    For the wandering GPS, I have sometimes gone to main screen, back to the GPS and hit resume, or I go to preview mode and back to Nav view and it will sometimes reaquire the signal. There are areas of the country where you will always lose the signal. One area I can think of off hand is when you are coming up US-395 into Reno. Hope that helps

Tapeworm Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    The only time I use the qc map is when I absolutely cannot find the customer with the RM gps. I hate that the qc always says to drive back to the route or "do you want to re-route?" No it's ok I can turn this thing around like a Volkswagen bug.

There's another way to reboot-- press and hold the Home button for 8 seconds then press and hold the Center button for 8 seconds.

DocWatson and Tapeworm Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.