When should I put on chains?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Jan 17, 2019.

1. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Well it’s winter I’m still not sure when I should put on chains? Anytime it’s snowing bad? What about mixed highways snow here and there is it ok to drive on no snow highway with chains? Also how many chains should I put on? I literally don’t have any clue when to put these things on I keep telling myself it will be ok I’ll put em on when I see other truckers putting them on. A week ago in wy there was snow on road on a sunny day and wth? One flatbed got stuck in the right lane causing an hour delay I don’t wanna be that guy but no one had their chains on I even asked over cb I guess a frdex truck did but ya know

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Depends what state you're in. Most will have a Highway worker at the "chains required" sign to make sure you actually put on chains. But not always, it may just be a sign telling you to chain up. Also requirements for what axles and how many sets differs. You usually chain the 2nd axle (all 4 tires) and the 3rd axle (2 tires) and the 4th axle (trailer) (2 tires). Then sometimes the highway crew is asleep at the switch and the "chains required" sign isn't up yet but it already like 3 " of snow and it's blowing hard and obviously you need to chain, but you will always have a super trucker trying to get thru WITHOUT chaining and he's the one spun out blocking all lanes.

BUMBACLADWAR, Curly88 and SteerTire Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It is extremely rare for road truckers in the US (non oilfield) to chain up unless directed to do so by the state via signage. This will always be at the base of a mountain or other grade that becomes difficult to climb in slick conditions.

Otherwise, when it get real bad like in the plains, or Wyoming they will close the roads rather than post a chain requirement.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Chains are for emergencies. They're for getting you out of trouble. Not for getting you into trouble.

Lav-25 and Omega1 Thank this.
  6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Chain up when you feel the need too. Don’t worry about what others say or think. Unless the signs are out, then worry.

I’ve chained many times when there wasn’t a requirement. I’ve also been written tickets for not chaining ;)

Slick or snow covered roads are dangerous as hell in high winds. And the mountain passes are not forgiving. So the added traction of chains is comforting.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Right after you polish them. That's when the gold looks its best

Lepton1 and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm going to have to disagree on that. For some, the freight MUST move. Winter weather and snowed in passes are every week occurrences and some supplies are really that critical.

Granted for the typical new driver, they won't be in those gigs but chains for some are as typical [and required by the company] as a daily PTI

9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Besides chaining up when being required to by road signs alerts or DOT road crews, chaining up is simply a matter of common sense. One puts on chains because of slippery road conditions due to snow and ice.

Obvious indications that traction devices are necessary is layered and compressed snow on the roadway causing slippery conditions.

Seeing several C R England and Swift trucks stuck in the median or in a ditch alongside the road is also clear indication that use of traction devices should be employed.

Most of the time you only need to chain up to drive a short distance, and if it hadn't been for the jackanapes in that unfortunate RV inexplicably stopping on that incline you could have kept going without having needed to chain up for two miles. I digress.

In instances where you need only drive a short distance, my lazy self only puts chains on the outside tires of the third axle.

Keeping some road sand handy can come in handy for getting going again if you think you can squeak by without chains.

BUMBACLADWAR and snowwy Thank this.
  10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I always carry a 50 lb sack of kitty liter, 6 bucks at Tractor Trailer, worth every penny. I've had several loading docks I could not get out of and a coffee can of liteer in front of the drive and out she comes.

For the newb's good idea to learn exactly how to chain before you are in the situation, theres a youtube by ABF or one of the freight companies that is a go tutorial.

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/chaining/od

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Your company should supply you with 3 sets of singles. Plus 1 for spares. For a total of 4.
    8 chains total.

The back outside drives get chained. Usually the trailer is required also. And If required, the front outside drives.

Out here in the west. Not always are there signs. Main highways usually but secondary roads not so much. Roll down your drivers window and listen for the trucks going the opposite direction.

Chains aren't usually required on flat stretches of highways. It's the hills you gotta be concerned about. So if you're coming up on a good sized climb and there aren't any signs. Roll down the window enough to hear outside and listen for trucks coming down the hill with chains on their tires.

I carry bag of salt. Not only do I want traction but I want some melting also.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.