When will the MADNESS ever stop?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Diantane, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Do you need drivers???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Nah,Im Just a 1 truck show-
    Im nearing retirement........So They can really screw things up and watch nothing get moved.

Steel Dragon and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The eld has nothing to do with not servicing the customer in your scenario.

If loading took an excessive amount of time, you document it, commuinicate with the broker and the consignee. The delay is caused by the shipper, not you. Your truck was there on time. But the the blame and stress where it belongs. Drivers have covered for the shippers issues for too long.

If you had a 1400 appointment then you committed to a load that was nigh on impossible based on the HOS, leaving no room for delays. Why would you book it?

If it is a truly critical shipmemt - could you have dropped the trailer and bobtailed to a truck stop for a ten while they loaded? Done a split log? Don't know because we're talking hypothetically. But there are plenty of ways to service the customer without killing yourself or violating the HOS.

And again, no one says the HOS are perfect. But its hard to show the defects when we "just get it done" and make things look pretty. Makeup and sunglasses may cover the brusies but its not stopping the guy from hitting you.

6. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    It does have something to do with it.

UNFORESEEN, gentleroger, Not sure your time in the field, But Customers and brokers don't care YET,
    they simply don't. Until freight stops getting moved,They turn their Cheeks on our HOS issues, Hopefuilly that changes.

The Scenario I Posted are DAILY examples that do happen all over the country, And the scenario depicts LIVE loading and unloading,Which,In the dry Box world-Could depict drop n pulls or whatever.

So Yes,The ELD adds stress to an already stressful day.

You can't convince me or others that are safe,competent drivers with a history of On-Time,No nonsense service.

If You can show me examples of where an ELD is a better alternative, I'll be more than happy to Listen and Learn.

x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  7. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    here's another example of what happens.

I'm not going to Lose Business either because of a tick tock computer telling me my day is done.

Broker decides he's not going to use you anymore for Lack of Service- Shipper same way- THEY WANT ON TIME SERVICE!!

Until they start opening delivery and pickup windows everywhere- The ELD is nothing but a stress bomb that will devour GOOD,Safe drivers into giving up.

This has nothing to do with Running Legal or Not- its EXPLAINING to good customers and Brokers that my "Ticker" wont allow me to deliver yet.

CHILDISH,In my eyes.

And Yes- Good Efficient Truckers know how to Pre-Plan their Weeks Within HOS Windows.

So Again, Convince me an ELD is a Better,Safer Alternative, And Im all Ears,

x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Don't worry your perfect. Everyone else is not. Worry about you boo boo. Do not worry about everyone else. At least you were not on ice.

9. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010

Your argument isn't against the ELD - it's the HOS. Shippers, recievers, and brokers don't care about the HOS. They don't care because drivers and carriers haven't MADE them care.

On October 20, 2016 a truck driver slammed into stopped traffic, killing my friends Mitch Vandenburget and Chris Porter. According to his log bok, the driver was within the HOS. A short investigation quickly showed that the driver habitually falsified his logs and was outside the HOS.

Would an ELD forcing the driver to follow the HOS have prevented this individual from eventually killing soneone? Probably not. Can't fix stupid. But every time someone tosses out the "we need to service our customers " to explain violating the HOS, or driving in weather they should have shut down for, or speeding thru construction zones, or any of the other stupid stuff you see drivers doing.

Drivers have a lot of power that we pass away. We accept low rates, we accept driving pos equipment, we accept dispatch "forcing" us to drive illegal /unsafe. Drivers could control this industry, but we're too fractured, too ignorant, too lazy to take control.

Paddlewagon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I recall a load of aluminum coming out of Lancaster PA. I managed to get in there Friday evening well enough to load. Only they did not get around to loading until Saturday sometime. Now I am very familiar with this facility in Aluminum having previously supplied them with 40 foot bars 4 feet thick from Frederick's Aluminum mill with flatbed and never late. Only this time I am taking Coil from there (The finished product) to Idabel Oklahoma. It is required to be there at 8 AM monday morning absolutely without fail.

What it should have been was a team truck. Not a solo run. With that said. I was in Idabel at 7:54 am monday with those coils straight through. Something like 1450 miles or so a little more usually. Closer to 1600. This was back in the 90's on paper logs and a grump for dispatch. Now there were many scales between PA and OK. Shrugs. If i was late I would have been fired. And it wont matter, they would stick another in there and run it.

Ultimately my personal preference to HOS conflicts with shippers and customers fall on two things, First, get a Team on it if it's truly critical. We have been a team and were on it so many times. Im pretty sure a company with a few thousand truckers have two in a cab somewhere east of the Miss river that could have captured that load of aluminum and run it straight through.

The other thing is I would have sat in Roanoke VA for my Ten hours at that time and that would be that and arrive on Tuesday evening to Wed Morning time frame, legal but late. And I would have been fired because that company in OK will have stopped production and then billed the company a whole bunch of money. It wont be the first time I stopped a major factory with many people working in it. (And been fired for it too.) It takes a mountain of time and money to get em going again.

Some loads are truly team loads. The rest are not so important and can be given to a solo with a little bit of extra time to get it there. No rush.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  11. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    They want team, jit service but want to pay for USPS "it gets there when it gets there".

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.