Where are they?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by rcelmo, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pacific Tank Lines in Las Vegas is hiring.
    Local job.
    Hourly Pay Plan
    Make over $100,000 a year
    $31.00 per hour
    $46.50 with over time
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Final Drive Thanks this.
  5. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    20210709_193835.jpg
    Yes Sir!
    It is.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Both sides are trying to hijack the issue for political points. Yes, some people are collecting more on unemployment than they would make working so they're staying at home. Studies have shown that's just the folks who were working for less than $32k/yr before the pandemic. Several states have cut back on the extra unemployment benefits and not seen a rise in job seekers.

Most folks fall into other categories - busy watching children because schools aren't open and day care isn't available or cost-prohibitive; hoping to upgrade their job (looking for or training for a better job than they had before the pandemic) or worried about catching the latest Covid variant (delta/lambda) because they have an underlying health condition. The pandemic experience has resulted in changes in how people work and look at work. Many office workers aren't interested in spending hours each day commuting to and from work again just so the boss man can watch over them now that they've done their job from home for months. Many couples have learned how to juggle their finances so one person can stay at home full-time to watch the kids instead of working at a job and giving up most of their earnings for childcare. You can argue that raising quality human beings is less important than whatever part-time, minimum wage service job they had before - I beg to differ.

I'll probably go to hell for saying this, but I agree with Joe Biden on one point, "Pay them more". Wages haven't kept pace with inflation in decades. Meanwhile, executive compensation has shot up exponentially. No man is worth $10 million a year. I don't care if he dresses up as a Japanese schoolgirl and gives each and every shareholder a hand party four times a year. I made $12/hr in the early 80's. You could buy a new mid-level car for $6,000 dollars then and a decent house for $40,000. Today, I make $30/hr. (2.5 times my 80's wage). A Camry is $30,000+ (5x the 80's price) and good luck finding a house in Portland/Seattle for less than $480K (12x the 80's price).

rcelmo Thanks this.
  7. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Here in our area that would be fantastic. Still a lot of adults working for half that. Fed-Ex dock worker
    pays around 18$ an hour. I haven't seen any jobs here for over $20 an hour. Housing is likely a little less.
    A decent house in a decent neighborhood is maybe $250,000. Rent is pretty steep.

College educated jobs do pay more................but for many older folks a college degree is
    pretty much out of the question. Some of the construction jobs advertise a bit more but that
    is seasonal.

Low end home ownership is really getting screwed. There are a lot of houses for sale
    for $300,000+...............try buying a decent house for $100,000. Many of the low end houses
    are in need of serious repair......roof leaks, windows leak, poor insulation, etc.....all of which
    means high utility costs. Takes a lot of electricity/gas to heat an old run-down house. I have
    seen houses that are in such bad shape that it would make more sense to knock them down
    and start over.................even those houses will sell for $75,000+.........because of how many
    low wage workers that really want a home of their own but can't buy a better one.

8. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    There are always hiring..............says something about a company that is always
    hiring.
    While back they were on the radio claiming they were short almost a hundred workers.
    Checked their website...........they only have 8......4 of which are management positions, the
    other 4 require experience. Beginning wage with some experience is less than $17 an hour.

My point is there are lots of places claiming to be short help................claiming all
    sorts of bonuses and pay increases, etc. Real life seems to be a little different.
    Try to get a job with one of these companies.............they aren't near as hard up for
    help as they let on.

As for Truck Drivers.............I have seen very few established/good quality companies
    hiring any more than normal. Fly-by-night...........just came out-of-the-work.......with weird
    foreign sounding names/can't speak English companies................seem to be lots of those
    around. All promising the sky-and-the-moon trying to hire drivers. Many of these if you actually
    look into who they are...............these are losers from Chicago coming down here trying to
    find drivers.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    He needs to go knock on the door and talk to them in person

or find out who the department manager is and contact that person on the phone or on linked in or somehow . bypass the HR department and talk to whoever will be your boss if you got that job.

10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Now don’t go cherry picking just to make your point. The only job paying close to 17 is a “production cleaner” ie a janitor.

Look at process technician $27.92 per hour, $1 shift deferential, 5- 12 hour shifts per week. With overtime that’s $100k a year. 22 jobs available and only require two years manufacturing experience. 37F64F88-328F-4014-A291-EF245FE63ED3.png

As for trucking company’s, I work for a 200 truck company. We have about a 40% turn over rate per year, mostly the new drivers and a few retiring every year. Every company won’t be the right fit for everyone, I’ve been here 6 years, I work as hard as I want to, they leave me alone for the most part, and I will make well into the 6 figures for the second year in a row.

We are hiring, seems like 10 or so people a month, same as we have been for the last few years. The good jobs are out there, just have to be willing to look for them.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  11. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    I was just hired by them and will be making $26 and that's in Central Florida. I would imagine other areas pay more.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.