Which company do I work for?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sparky1980, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Sparky1980

Sparky1980 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Hello, I live in Helena, Mt. I am new to trucking and I'm currently seeking a reputable company to work for. I have already been cleared on my DOT physical. I have checked around on a few companies but I found that not a lot of companies work out of the Montana area. I will need to go to a trucking driving school. The two companies that I have looked into are Swift and Jim Palmer. If anyone could provide me information on either company I would greatly appreciate it or if you know of any companies that work out of the Helena Montana and provide training I would also appreciate that information as well I'm a veteran so it is a plus if a company accepts my DD 214 for any type of scholarship program

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Thank you for your service. Of the two Id go Jim Palmer because Swift trainees are just under trained.

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  4. IronWeasel80

IronWeasel80 Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Belen, NM
    I clicked on the thread hoping to enter my guess as to which company you work for. Turns out that I was mistaken. :(

Second vote for staying away from Swift. I say that with personal experience.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  5. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Large companies like swift are always a headache. Your dispatcher is going to be given 50 drivers to manage, and will never have time to help you out as a new driver. If I lived in the Montana Area, I'd start right out learning how to secure freight with a flatbed company. If you are hoping to see home, you are going to want to be able to haul lumber. However, I wouldn't hold it against you if you just went and trained with a company that has a decent training program, and then bailed out when you finished. They usually require you stay on for a year, and a good amount of training is 3-5 months. Stevens out of Texas i have heard is a great place for training. You get something like 5 months training, and never ever go home, but once you put the time in, you could just plan on paying off the loan, or just having a lawyer write it off for you in 3 years anyways, your credit shouldn't suffer much. However, If you stuck with them for a year, that is the sweet spot of opportunity. About 25% of the companies out here require two years experience, 50% require one year, and 25% have training programs or don't give a hoot. It's up to you how you decide to handle your career, but the thing I recommend most is to get more training. There are specific situations that just do not occur enough for you to have learned them in a single month. 5 Months is about right, and thats what i would expect from whatever company you choose for now.

6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    http://jobs.wksh.com

Watkins Shepard is based in Missoula, MT and they have a terminal in Helena.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The state might pay for driving school through the WIA program.

If you have to go with company paid training then Jim Palmer would be good.
    There's also Western Express and they ship you to Nashville, TN for their school.
    http://www.aptruckdrivingacademy.com
    Southern Refrigerated Transport has the same program and uses a community college in Texarkana.
    All these provide meals and lodging.
    You will need:
    original birth certificate
    original social security card-not laminated
    cheap work gloves
    flashlight
    sleeping bag & pillow
    steel toe slipon style work boots

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Did you really just recommend Western Express?????? Jesus man I'll tell ya.

Chewy352 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I answered his question about trucking company cdl school that takes students from Helena.
    He didn't ask who he should work for, only which companies have school that take people from Helena.
    I found 4 and posted the 3 best ones.

10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Western Express is one of the worst companies out there and you know that. Unless he's got a DUI or something wrong, WE shouldn't even be an option.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    He didn't ask about job advice or which company to work for as a career; he asked about trucking company cdl schools that take students from Helena, MT.
    Which company do you recommend to him?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.