which reefer unit?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by czego82, Nov 2, 2015.

1. czego82

czego82 Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Trying to switch into reefer. Just want to see what cooling unit and model you would recommend. As for trailer, looking at GD, Utility and Wabash. For the unit, looking at TK but there are different models 210 230 etc. What do you guys recommend?

mp4694330 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    New or used? If used, look at turned in trailers from a company that takes care of them. Ex-prime GD should have good service records and low hours since they swap their equipment earlier than many carriers

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  4. czego82

Nov 15, 2014
    used.
    whats the difference between sb 210, 230, 310?

5. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Cooling capacity. If you haul frozen, you want a lot, especially if you cross the desert in summer.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  6. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Keep in mind they loose 5% of their insulation efficiency every year if buying used. The GD's seem to hold up better over time and seem to be better built. If going used I may steer that route. As for new the utility 3000r's they are incredible every time I hook to one instead of a WB artic lite its a free 1 to 1/2 mpg depending on the year. If going new that's the way I would go. Does it make sense to buy new GD because hold up better over time if the insulation will loose efficiency anyway? Only problem is new what are they about 65-70k? Not sure of the difference between the two reefer models you listed but both TK and carrier build a good unit.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  7. czego82

Nov 15, 2014
    Is that right? 5% per year?? So after 20 years its just a dry van...
    What you mean "its free 1 to 1/2 mpg"? I have 40-45k budget. Any recommendation? Need it frozen as well...

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  8. mountaingote

Sep 22, 2012
    What he means is the Utility pulls easier, so you get better economy. Sounds weird but it's true. I don't know about losing efficiency, but I suppose it could happen. Buy the newest trailer with the biggest unit you can afford and you should be fine. I prefer TK over Carrier.

Jarhed1964 and RubyEagle Thank this.
  9. mountaingote

Sep 22, 2012
    Also, most trailers just aren't made to last 20 years. The OEMs figure about a 7 year floor life, which of course varies by how it's been treated.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes I remember reading somewhere that the insulation looses 5% of its thermal efficiency every year. Which is evident when I hook a new trailer vs an old one (fleet still has some 07's) that the reefer runs nonstop on an older trailer vs a newer trailer that starts and stops on a -10 load. I had an 07 (our 07's are artic lites) trailer and the company booked me on an ice cream load which requires that you precool to -20 and it was 80 outside and I barely got the trailer cool enough to get loaded. Shipper said that's as high of a temp as we'll accept. So I'm wondering if in another couple years that 07 would be capable of -10 in all outside temperatures. But I posted because I would like to learn as well so anyone wants to chime in on the reefer insulation loosing its efficiency with time. I know that GD and utility use a different insulation process, GD being some type of layering an utility has a foam injection process. Not sure which holds up better over time and why. And yes the newer 3000r's do pull that much better than the older WB in the fleet, big difference night and day, very noticeable. Like I said 1-1/2 mpg.

alds Thanks this.
  11. czego82

Nov 15, 2014
    I was able to find out that SB 310 or 330 is for frozen products -20 deg
    any idea which carrier units are frozen?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.