White knuckle experiences

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tao4mind123, May 28, 2017.

1. Tao4mind123

Tao4mind123 Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    There are reasons why professional drivers do pre-trips, post trips, and walk around vehicles when left unattended even for short periods of time. This thread is intended to have experienced drivers tell about their personal white knuckle experiences. How they avoided the incidents to teach new drivers how skill saved their lives and the lives of others. Will start with my experience on McKenzie Hwy from Boise Idaho to Eugene Oregon in the winter. There is this little hill right after Sisters Oregon that goes straight down with a 20mph horseshoe turn at the bottom and in front of me is a inexperienced driver going to fast and trailer passes him when he tried to slow down for the curve on black ice and blocks both lanes of traffic. Here I come with 80,000 pounds on a steep grade on ice and snow. Hit the brake loose steering, release brake adjust, watch trailer, all the way down the hill. Slid within inches and stopped. Truck behind me used the mountain wall of snow to slow and stop. The CB radio's were sounding off everywhere about the Sisters pass being blocked. All I could think about was my trailer swinging around on braking and dragging me straight down that mountain. My fleet manager said: No worry the trees would catch you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Every time I'm in a cluster of Swift, England, or Prime trucks.
    Knuckles go white, butt cheeks clench, breathing becomes irregular.

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Sounds like an an orgasm.

5. Steel Tiger

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Definitely not the good kind

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    OK: I'll go. HWY 78, 278, 1 & 25 East bound in a Mack Cruise Liner bobtail. Topped over the hill in the rain on a four lane running the speed limit, 45. Guard rails in the middle and on both sides with water past them. It was about a 1/4 mile to the other side and a land yacht was parked half in the road and restraunt driveway. Four wheelers were steady passing on the left.I pushed the brake and the truck jumped to a 30 degree angle. Off the brake and steered to correct. Ok I was a little quick on the brake I thought and eased on the pedal with the same result. Then I baby foot, baby foot, baby foot on the pedal with the same result. At that time it was clear that dog was not stopping before it hit that car. I hit the left turn signal and pulled the air horn. The four wheelers made a little room. I eased left even though I questioned if it was enough. That big old car never moved. Glad I had a good distance and the cars moved.

Lepton1, Crude Truckin' and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Had one yesterday. Driving back home deadhead on 86 through Corning, NY. It's 3:30 am and noone else on the road. The road has some good bends so I slow down a little. Come around a corner and there's a car in my lane with the reverse lights on. Takes me a split second to realize the idiot missed his exit and is backing up.

Bean Jr., Lepton1 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. Steel Tiger

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Hit that nail square on the head

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'll add mine... when my B/P goes down, from reading.... and then @Lepton1 's addition to the party, LoLoL~! ;)

10. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    White out, empty, the ink was still wet on my CDL, trying to get from Waverly Nebraska to the J in Gretchen....wind howling out of the north, dusk....using the rumble strip to figure out where I was...

There was a truck stop before Gretchen, but when I got off the ramp, I couldn't see it, so back on I 80...inched my way to Gretchen...first drive in a semi in snow...

They had to surgically remove the upholstery from my puckered parts.

11. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I had one a few days ago....6AM....in NC on US64 east, 10 miles before hitting I-95

Was on my 12th hour in my 14 clock...hurrying to get back to the yard.

I'm moving a 70MPH, pass a slow PRIME truck...something tells me to stay in the left lane, since I did not want to re-switch back into left lane as the on-ramp was coming up --- you know, the "look ahead mentality"

Suddenly I hear the left lane rumble strips, and the truck tugs left, and next thing I feel is the freakin' trailer wagging me...and I find myself whipped to the right lane....

Let's just say that any sleep creeping up in my system was knocked out QUICK!!

All I could think about from that point was ..."what if the PRIME truck had been next to me?"

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.