Who remembers these?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    I drove a 1995 Low Liner Freightliner sleeper set up with a 4 car headrack and a 8/9 Boydstun low rail Trailer. Never had more than 10 on it, everything was too heavy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Hauling a bunch of Chrysler vehicles,mostly AMC/Jeep/Eagle,(Jeep Cherokee XJs,a Eagle wagon)with some Renault Alliance/Encore coupes/hatchbacks,a couple of Dodge Ram regular cab pickups,a Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant K wagon and sedan, and either a Chrysler Imperial or New Yorker sedan or Dodge Diplomat or Dynasty.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    That's a very significant photo, it shows every car made in Kenosha. The M series Plymouth( bottom center) was the last car made in Kenosha or Belvidere, Ill( now closing). Looks like they cleaned out the warehouse on this load.

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Wow I’m digging that Eagle wagon on there. I used to have one, no doubt the coolest car I will have ever owned. I owned a Renault alliance once too, which I also see on there. That was a weird little car!

Anyone know what is that little blue car on the bottom, right behind the drive tires? It looks Renault-ish as well but the door latches are throwing me off.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    And that old article showing the 6453-A transmission

I’m thinking that was an old 5 speed spicer.
    Could be wrong but it’s either a 5 or straight 7

7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    It’s a Renault Alliance sedan. When the Alliance was built and sold here it was available in 2 door coupe,4 door sedan and 2 door convertible form. It’s “twin” was the Encore hatchback(same mechanical components,different body style) ,available in 3 door and 5 door style.
    Renault Alliance - Wikipedia

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    That’s interesting. The Alliance I owned was a 4-door hatchback, fairly certain it was a 1987 model. But it sounds like in the US, only the encore was available as a hatchback. Maybe I had a rare european model??? That would actually make sense because I inherited it from a distant cousin who lived in Germany, and she kept the car here to drive when she was here visiting. Either way, now I wish I had kept it and fixed it up (I was only 16 and didn’t know any better).

9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    The split rear side windows and the funny badge are the give away, they are Alfa Romeo GTV6, I have a friend with two of them, cool, but funky cars

10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I ran an optioned out 9189 for a couple years, thing was a tank, for sure. Much preferred the 9178, the crossmember was too far forward on the #5 deck on the 8/9, really limited putting big stuff in the belly over the tandem. Loaded stuff into the belly more than once by unhooking and using the jump slide-outs to get over the tongue. I think I used that heavy, split #5 one time and realized it wasn't worth the effort. But you could put 10 on one of those easier than on a Cottrell highrail, and that's not knocking the Cottrell! Loved all the sliding decks and always did prefer their shotgun setup.

ATG is running a bunch of the tri-axle 80 footers in the PNW where they can tag for the higher gross. But I think mostly to get the Dodge diesels past the scale on the way to Kellogg! LOL

11. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    My father's step-dad drove for Convoy out of Portland around that era I remember being told. Never really knew the man and was only around 14 when he passed in the mid 90's. Only other guy in the extended family tree I am aware of that drove for a living.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.