Why don't reefers have a min/max temp setting?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Cobrawastaken, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    So I'm hauling a load of beverages that needs to be protected from freezing and I'm thinking, isn't it weird that I can't just set a minimum temperature on the reefer unit so it only turns on if the temp gets too low but if it's like 50 degrees outside for example then the reefer never turns on and doesn't waste fuel.

The only reason I can think of is that people are stupid and would end up getting a trailer that is set like that and let a load go bad that needs to be at a set temp.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    They do. My Carrier does, anyhow. I go into the start/stop (S/S Settings on display), and it's the override temp. I can set it to a minimum of 3.6 degrees, and a maximum of 18 degrees so that when the temperature gets out of that range, the unit will start and bring back to within the temperature range.

4. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    It occurred to me that you might be locked out of changing some of your settings. I years ago, a Carrier dealer had to go into the microprocessor and unlock mine so I can change settings. At that time, I particularly was trying to change the Fresh Protect setting.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    My company has pretty much all thermoking units so either thermoking doesn't have it or the company disabled it. The start/stop button on these just changes it between start/stop and continuous by pressing it once and it doesn't bring up a menu or anything.

6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Unless you haul a lot of protect from freezing or wide temp range loads, as a company it isn't worth it to depend on a driver using the correct setting.
    One claim will offset the minor fuel savings by a great amount

Cobrawastaken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.