Why is FREIGHT SO CHEAP??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by samjward, May 20, 2016.

1. revin57

revin57 Light Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Dogtown
    NAFTA has destroyed this country and its now showing. Ppl have lost their manufacturering jobs and are now some of them driving.
    Megas and now truck leasing companies are squeezing drivers and new drivers of everything they have (its the drivers fault for not studing more about the deal).
    Its supply and demand and too many ppl foreigners too that will haul the freight.
    The system will purge itself of the ppl over their head in truck payments and dept and the strong with low overhead will survive.
    Like Warren Buffet said "you know who's wearing shorts when the tide rools out.

SoDel and fordconvert Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Syd'sTrucking

Syd'sTrucking Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2013
    This is it right here. All the wannabes driving for the megas or the fleece ops that think. . 97/mile is good cuz they're getting their very own pos truck in the process.

RERM Thanks this.
  4. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed, but these aren't foreigners, so can't blame it on them!!!!!!

ChromeNut and diesel drinker Thank this.
  5. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Foreigners(at least east europeans) usually buy their first truck for cash.they (we) use financing later on when expanding.I am one of them and already after 18 months of driving I saved enough to buy decent truck but i feel i still need some more experience and i am going to take 3 months vacation this winter so i am waiting till next year.

6. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I would blame mega carriers that only pay their company drivers very low wages. They can afford to haul any cheap loads that average o/o wouldn't even look at. Also they don't have to pay their company drivers any detention pay and don't even pay for all the miles driven.

6wheeler and diesel drinker Thank this.
  7. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Lots of reasons.

The 500 largest US companies have $1.4 trillion in cash overseas -- money they earned and paid taxes on overseas, but that cannot be brought back into the US without paying another tax. There is only $13 trillion USD in circulation, so more than 1 in every 10 dollars is effectively out of circulation. This is deflationary (deflation is what made the great depression so bad).

We've become a society that provides food, clothing, shelter, housing, and medical for everyone. Even cell phones and internet... Most people will always want to consume more, but plenty ask why work at all? Those that do work have to pay for those that don't, limiting the amount they can consume further slowing the economy.

Trucking specifically is a terrible business. Your competitors are generally unsophisticated, which means anyone and everyone they encounter can take advantage of them. Just look at the misclassification of employees. Trucking companies have shifted the costs of equipment, fuel, maintenance, salary, & benefits to workers selling their souls to have the illusion of control.

xlsdraw, SoDel, whoopNride and 7 others Thank this.
  8. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013

9. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Your argument doesn't have basis for discussion. Is ignorant, baseless, prejudice and honestly really stupid> you should read more and educate more and stop you bias comments, because you make look us, the truck drivers just like you.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  10. Syd'sTrucking

Oct 25, 2013
    I read something in a company fleece OP thread I think. The driver stated money wasn't important. A comfortable truck was and he/she (I forget which) was happy with being paid $300 a week for running hard.
    I thought did your mama drop you on your head or did you eat the varnish off your crib cuz you ain't right in the head.
    It's people like that that we do not need in this industry. They're killing it.

11. Syd'sTrucking

Oct 25, 2013
    Well the last part of this doesn't make much sense and I read it 3 times. But whatever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.