Why oh why are you drivers taking this cheap freight????

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    Thanks UTI for the reply. I agree, the rates suck, but I can't blame shippers for wanting to keep their costs low as we do also in regards to fuel and repairs. What hurts all is inflation. When a dollar bought a dollars worth of goods, then everyone was able to make an honest profitable living. But now it takes $10 to buy $1 worth of goods and keeps getting worse. Over regulation off all of society doesn't help either. But at least those that are on this forum have jobs and most of us are making a descent living. Thank God for what we have and not what we don't have.

UTI TRANSPORT and BoyWander Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    #1 Reason why I don't haul "Stick Loads" out of the PAC-NW.....

Anyone who would haul a tarped "Stick Load" for a buck a mile is a fool......

Sorry if I stepped on some toes....But that's the truth......

SHC and UTI TRANSPORT Thank this.
  4. old time

old time Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I was always told that you are competing with the rails on lumber loads out of NW. If they can get a truck to haul it cheap, they save a lot of money on handling. It has to be hauled to rail, loaded on rail and same process at unloading. Truck will get it point to point. I ran NW and Western canada for years and if the lumber had to be tarped, it didn't go on my trailer as a rule. I hauled a few and everytime I said it was my last

5. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    But if you can haul manufactured beams from any of the larger mills....You can get great rates out of the PAC-NW.....But Central Oregon Transport and Leased LS Ops have most of those loads locked up tighter than a duck's behind.....Hard to get them if you're a Single Pony O/O....

6. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    When I hauled wood chips, in the Pac NW, the majority of the saw mills had rail service, on site. There was no need to truck the lumber to the railhead. However, you are correct about competing with the railroads.

7. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    they used to try and pull this with us but rail and the barge was the big deal. They use to try to get everyone to move loads for barge rates...lol. The way I always looked at it, why are you trying to move it by truck if you can get the barge to do it so cheap! I'd tell them the same thing with the lumber load in the NW. If you can move it so cheap by rail why the hell are you trying to move it by truck...? You may piss them off, but then they know you have them by the short curly's! Or you will get lucky enough and they won't call you back.

8. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The only good paying lumber loads I've hauled right from the sawmill and no tarp came out of..........

... are you kidding?! I'm not going to blab where the good lumber loads are!

peterbilt_2005, HwyPrsnr and SHC Thank this.
  9. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Loads out of SO-CAL are sucky right now......Offered two for $1.80/m....Both 8' drops and no detention pay unless over 3 hours for the wait......

Some days, it just pays to not get out of bed......:biggrin_25513:

Les2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.