Why So Many Empty Carvana trucks?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by MooneyBravo, Jan 21, 2024.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Carvana has a lot in Elyria Ohio. There must be 30 empty semi trucks sitting over there. Every now and then I see one or two that have one or two cars on board yet they have an ad on Indeed for full time CDL drivers.

I offered them part-time maybe 3 days a week but they won't budge. I left Moore Transport at the end of July when they closed their company driver division. After 39 yrs decided to go into semi retirement.

All those empty trucks and why they won't consider someone for part-time is a mystery.
    They also say that drivers are home everyday.
    I know they got into some financial problems sometime ago. Anyone know any more about what's going on with them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you want a part-time gig, you might inquire with Schneider National.

Depending on their freight situation in that area -- they might love a chance to talk to you.

They (in the past) hire drivers for part-time work.

-- L

MooneyBravo Thanks this.
  4. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Carvana has been struggling to sell cars acquired at elevated prices as buyers, hit by inflation and worried about a recession, cut spending. Carvana shares have lost 87% of their value in the past two years. The company's market capitalization is $7.5 billion, well below the $60 billion it commanded in 2021....I guess it's old news already ...getting worse now

5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Go over to Sheffield lake and try one of the companies hauling the unfinished cube vans. That might work

MooneyBravo and bzinger Thank this.
  6. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Most of those trucks Carvana has are listed for sale through West Coast Enterprises

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Hadn't looked into it, I just noticed their advertising push had dropped off.

I doubted that the business model would work well in cyclical financial times.

I helped my elderly neighbor sell a car - the Carvana and similar offers were $500 - we got it sold for $3,000 last month.

MooneyBravo, Chinatown and lual Thank this.
  8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The reason thwy won't consider part-time is how their workflow is structured. The treat car haul the same as a LTL company and run their routes, do swaps and such with the same equipment regardless if they have 9 units or 1 unit.

They schedule full time swap partners. So having a part timer would throw off their planning. Now, one would think they would welcome a casual driver, but they have enough full time drivers to cover the runs by having a full time floater that doesn't have an assigned run and just covers call outs and when not needed to drive they usually support the terminal manager or shuttle equipment to and from other locations or repairs.

bzinger, MooneyBravo and Banker Thank this.
  9. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Are you talking the ford plant in Avon?

10. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.