Why Wal*Mart has been good for me.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Nevada_Bob, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Paddington

Paddington Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah, that's partly the reason. But the biggest reason they pay better than most OTR private & contract carriers is that they fear the unions. Think about if the unions organized a store, Wal-Mart will just shut it down. But if the Teamsters ever organized the drivers, Wal-Mart would be screwed because the union could shut down the entire company thru a wildcat strike.

If you look at the good trucking jobs like Wal-Mart, LTL, etc...they all have unions involved. The problem with OTR trucking is that there's no unions and thus, the employees have no bargaining power. If there were unions, then all jobs would pay like Wal-Mart. Think about if say Schneider and JB Hunt were organized...all the other non-union companies would have to pay union-scale to avoid being organized.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    Paddington I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't get off the soapbox brother, keep on preaching to these hands. I worked at alot of non-union otr companies until I. Got my first union trucking job and all I can tell you and anyone else who reads this is that I finally feel like I recieve the pay that I as a proffesional truck driver is fair.

4. truckdriver402

truckdriver402 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Orwell, OH

I could not agree more!!! Wal-Mart is the OTR we all aspire to do! I've tried to get on with them, and it is impossible! Nevada Bob is right; it seems similar to the CIA to get in!

I don't know how to quote more than one poster, but Paddington does have a point about unions...I have never worked for a union outfit, but, from those I know who do, have generally good things to say about them. A friend of mine, a steel worker, has killer benefits and decent pay. In fact, just on bonuses and not haveing to pay for his health & dental was enough to make me apply! My father worked at a power plant for years. The union there saved his job, AND countless others. There again, you have to wonder if that helps or hinders. My dad tested positive one morning for being legally intoxicated (he was/is an alcoholic) and the union saved his job. Sad, but that's a true story!

Anyway, back to the point....Yes, I agree with Wal Mart being the king of the mountain when it comes to trucking. I hae applied to, and THINK I am on with a certain non-union LTL company (I have NO problem mentioning their name, but I am scared to death of jinxing everything. For me, this job would be like hitting the jackpot!) and will be home every day. They pay, from what I gather, "union wages," but are non-union. Anyway, I see the good and bad with unions, but, I guess what I am getting at, is when a LTL company can get you home every day AND pay you very well, why go on the road?

I loved running the road and Lord knows I miss it very much. When I had problems (with a vindictive ex) it was so nice to hop in the truck and drive 1500 miles away from her and her evil ways! Union or no union, if I get this job, I consider myself blessed! As you you, Nevada Bob, I can't thank you enough for writing about Wal Mart! PLEASE keep us up to date! I wouln't mind seeing somewhat of a journal similar to Evertruckerr's Crete blog he has on here. I guess, since circumstances prevent me from going OTR right now, I can live vicariously through those who do!

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I gotta say every Wal*Mart driver I've ever talked to has been more than friendly when it comes to answering questions about his job. That right there says quite a bit about an outfit. Heck, most of the gate guards have been pretty darned helpful, too. I've never had any problems with either the drivers or guards there. The store personnel, however, are a completely different story.

6. tjordan

tjordan Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    lancaster sc
    dose walmart have a web site

Nevada_Bob Thanks this.
  7. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    We're you aware this forum has a whole section entitled "Discuss your favorite trucking company here" ? This is it right here. All drivers have to brag about is plenty of miles and good home time for the most part. Comparing Wal Mart and a few other companies to the rest of the slave mills is apples to oranges.

8. dkepco

dkepco Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Las Vegas Neveda
    Hi Hunter,
    When did you start driving and for who?I am leaving tomorrow for swift my orientation is on tuesday. I am a student I went to AIT hear in Las Vegas .I got out back in April but swift put off 4 times either they didn't have trainers at the time or it was to slow that's what I got for answers.I tried werner but they turned me down at the last minute.Anyways good luck onthe road and drive safe.

thanks
    dkepco

9. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Hi,

My friend is teaching me how to drive. I am attending my schooling in Dec. I list my stats as a student as I am learning.

KH

10. Nevada_Bob

Nevada_Bob Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Mesquite, Nv.
    As a matter of fact, you are 100% correct. On my first day in orientation we were told, "Wal*Mart Transportation is not a trucking company, but a private fleet to service the #1 customer, the stores.

11. Nevada_Bob

Nevada_Bob Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Mesquite, Nv.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.