1. Deepdiver88

Deepdiver88 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2016
    That can definitely be the frustrating side of hauling temp controlled freight - the waiting. I am enjoying home time right now - my first since joining the company 3.5 months ago (by my choice BTW) - and they got me to within about 80 miles of my residence under a load. I had to wait 4.5 hours to get unloaded. Just part of the job. I live in far upstate northern NY close to the Canadian border so it is not easy for me to get back here. JPT is one of the VERY FEW companies that would even talk to me about a position given where I live. When I do get back to where I live I am able to take max home time of 5-6 days with no static from the company.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I've read some good things about Jim Palmer Trucking and I hope things work out for you. That being said, I'm not sure you can extrapolate your first time home into saying you'll never get static from the company about home time, after all life's circumstances can change suddenly.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I did a lot of research, talked to various people in/out of company. I think JPT is a good company. I doubt you will have anything but the usual OTR problems that are inherent in the job. It's a hard job but it helps when your company treats you like an adult.

5. 518buttcercup

518buttcercup Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2017
    I am also in the far reaches of upstate NY (an hour from Montreal) and am talking with Wil Trans. No idea if my work history will meet their requirements but we will see. It's nice to read such positive posts about them. Hope things work out.

6. 518buttcercup

518buttcercup Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Deepdiver, do you mind if I ask what other companies you were considering, since we are likely from a similar region of NY.

7. Deepdiver88

Deepdiver88 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2016
    No worries - others companies that were on my short list were: Roehl - better than avg pay for new drivers / large freight base / 24 month VA OJT Apprenticeship Program ; J&R Schugel - smaller company - good equipment - 100% employee owned; Crete Carrier / Shaffer - excellent pay, 12 month VA OJT Apprenticeship Program.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  8. Kar0s

Kar0s Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    They absolutely do! I just finished up my second phone interview today, and am awaiting another call from someone just to dot the i's and cross the t's and just confirm everything on the app. If all goes well, I'll be taking a bus to their main terminal in Missouri on the July 2nd and being CDL permit training July 3rd!

They actually include a 24" TV with free Direct TV in their trucks! My recruiter had been in contact with me every day so far, and they really make me feel comfortable talking to them, and valued, even though I'm not even yet an employee. I can honestly say that I see myself still driving for them 5 years from now, they truly care about their drivers!

Need4Speed, Chinatown and tscottme Thank this.
  9. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I would avoid Veriha like the plague. Their equipment is mostly old garbage, some newer trucks but most trailers and some trucks are left over from whatever companies they can raid, and liquidate. They pay a decent rate per mile but loads are mostly short trips and you'll be hauling garbage.

10. BullDozerD

BullDozerD Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2017
    I am in Niagara Falls NY and I am also thinking of applying for JPT. Where you from?

11. crazyrob79

crazyrob79 Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I have an application with them for there CDL training program this is my 2nd time first time I wasn't accepted put in 5/21/18

Need4Speed and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.